where did they go?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
King carp

where did they go?

Post by King carp »

I know many thousands of 1903 springfields, M1 carbine, M1 Garands, and 1911 pistols were given or lend leased to our allies. Outside of the Phillipines, were Krag rifles sold, given or leased to any other foreign countries? Did government auction buyers like stokes and bannerman and state militias get all them when there were deemed obsolete? thanks, KC

butlersrangers

Re: where did they go?

Post by butlersrangers »

Haiti (1916 to 1920s) and Nicaragua (1920s to 1930s) were recipients of Krags, during U.S. assistance or interventions.

Whether loaned, sold, or outright 'gifts' and the eventual disposition of the Krags, I don't know.
Attachments
Haitian Gendarmarie-1916 (2).jpg
Haitian Gendarmarie-1916 (2).jpg (184.48 KiB) Viewed 457 times
nicaragua civil grd 1928.jpg
nicaragua civil grd 1928.jpg (77.89 KiB) Viewed 461 times
nicaragua krags.jpg
nicaragua krags.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 461 times
nicaragua 1928 recruit Guardia Nacional.jpg
nicaragua 1928 recruit Guardia Nacional.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 461 times

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

Five or so years ago, i read a diary/memoir of an Marine Ordnance officer who served on
Guadalcanal while the fighting was still going on. A few of his pages discussed the weapons that
were captured from the Japanese and some of those were, probably, themselves captured by the
Japanese after the Singapore campaign and from the Philippine forces after the fall of our posts and
those of the Philippine troops. Those captures included the expected Enfield models from the British
and also the 1917's and Krags from the Philippines. The numbers weren't large - especially for the
Krag. The reasons give for the reduced numbers of the Krags was, he thought, related to the amount
of ammunition that was also captured. The Japanese had even gone so far as to attempt - with limited
success - to manufacture 30-40 bullets and brass

FredC

Post by FredC »

Nuts, I thought there were nearly 1/2 million Krags floating around here. Some destroyed in fires other busted up for parts. Now thousands sold to foreign governments, rusting away in jungles. Say it ain't so!

A friend was helping with some electronic stuff here a few weeks ago and asked about the rifle on the shelf. I asked him if he had heard of military grade weapons. The term usually means sort of looks like military grade. This here is real military grade! Most technologically advanced weapon out there in 1892.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Per Frank Mallory (KRS, 2nd edition, page 79): "Nine thousand Model 1896 carbines were sold to the Rural Guards of Cuba in 1912".