Christmas Eve forecast

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Christmas Eve forecast

Post by butlersrangers »

I hear we are going to have weather on Christmas Eve .... God willing.

I think this is a concise summary of what I have heard:
Attachments
weather alert.jpg
weather alert.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 665 times

Capt. Frank

Re: Christmas Eve forecast

Post by Capt. Frank »

I do not know where you live, but that forecast reads just like the one for Delaware.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Weathermen have it tough in South Texas also. In our winter months we can have a spread of almost 100 degrees between record highs and lows. February 2020 we had near zero with the artic outbreak, in February 1996 we had a high of 100. Before a major cold front comes through there is compression which heats the air, then the north wind blows that away.
This time is going to different it is already cold with a Siberian blast coming in Thursday. Like the ones in 1983 and 2020 they see these things coming more than a week ahead of time. Br is probably ahead in it now, it will be here Thursday afternoon. I have a couple of days yet to drain the ranch water system and arrange to get water to the cows. Extra feed for the cows to keep them warm and ice cream for me to calorie up are on the list. You fellows on the east coast will have a coin toss on how much of this Siberian express gets you all.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Ice Cream during a Blizzard', I thought that was a Michigan thing?

The outdoor Dairy Queen could stay open with sub-zero temperatures and make money in Michigan!

FredC

Post by FredC »

During a blizzard, I would think a Dairy Queen would do better selling ice cream inside. Warming it up a little before eating it works for me. I am weird, I have only told a few friends about ice cream calories to keep warm. Most people I tell this to have to think about it before they see there might be something to it. Sounds like the people in Michigan already figured it a long time ago?

You should be in the middle of this cold snap that is coming our way, are you having cold clear air or a blizzard? The middle of Canada was 40 something below a couple of days ago.

We are supposed to have 20 degrees with the hill country north of us having wind chill below zero. We have several problems with his kind of weather. We are not acclimated, lows were in the 60s and highs in the 80s last week. No REAL winter clothes. Pipes in the ground are not generally buried deep enough. No barns for the cattle. The fire truck on the front porch of the shop needs to go inside for few days. The guys in the department figured out they can move the trucks around at the station and make room for it, last time I took the overhead lights off it so it would fit in my garage. Where is this global warming, I could use a little bit of it now!

pickax

Post by pickax »

Yes it sure is crazy this year, in Fla we'll get the cold from Sat. through Cristmas day.
My family and friends in Northern Maine are expecting hard rain and winds Friday night, immediately freezing up to ice. Just when they were looking forward to skiing and snowmobile fun.
Hope you fare well Fred with the stock and pipes.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I should do well, they were out of a lot of stuff at the HEB food store last night. but I did score a half gallon of praline pecan ice cream, a package of cowboy cookies, and a couple of avocados my extra calorie stuff is taken care of. Also have a crock pot of real Texas chili cooking, I think I am set. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90
It has been uncomfortably cool for the last 5 or 6 days but this morning the compression heating is happening ahead of the front. By the time I came to the shop I was down to just a T-shirt. A couple more hours and I will have the outdoor stuff finished.

Next time you all are enjoying a juicy steak remember the work ranchers do to make that possible.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is Winter on the calendar, but currently SE Michigan is 39 degrees and no precipitation. There is a residual 'dusting' of snow in my yard.

The western side of the state is getting lake effect snow off of Lake Michigan.

We may get some rain followed by dropping temperatures and snow from 7pm to 4am.
Temperatures may drop to 20- or 6-degrees F, with up to 6 to 7 inches of snow.

Winds may build up to 50 mph, which could create -0 'windchill'.

With all the hype, we may get nothing, and Ohio can get dumped on!

It's all about wind direction for us. Some S.E. Michiganders exaggerate and like to complain too much. If we got what is normal for Buffalo, N.Y., they'd self-destruct!

Hmmm ... a bowl of Chili or Hot Fudge Sunday sounds pretty good!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Just a few inches of snow in northwestern Illinois right now, but already making two foot drifts in spots. Wind out of the west and getting ready to blow harder. My new furnace will get a good work out. Got rid of the fuel oil and now on propane.

Ice cream in Winter? An old ice cream maker was left in the first house my Dad bought. Wood slats and a hand crank. Used snow and salt. I will have to see if my Dad will part with it and carry on the tradition at my house. Looked like the picture below. He eventually graduated to an electric ice cream maker.
IceCreamMaker.jpg
IceCreamMaker.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 583 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:35 pm It is Winter on the calendar, but currently SE Michigan is 39 degrees and no precipitation. There is a residual 'dusting' of snow in my yard.

The western side of the state is getting lake effect snow off of Lake Michigan.

We may get some rain followed by dropping temperatures and snow from 7pm to 4am.
Temperatures may drop to 20- or 6-degrees F, with up to 6 to 7 inches of snow.
Winds may build up to 50 mph, which could create -0 'windchill'.
Your temperature and forecast certainly seems a puzzle to me. Going by the weather maps we see I would have expected you all to be near zero, and already in the blasting Siberian express. I guess you are inside some kind of bubble that protects you from extremes? If so, that might explain the difficulty with forecasting your local weather. Cold got here about 3:30 and is 26F now. Wind is about 30 MPH. Walked up to the front gate and closed it. Shot a coon on the way back. May have done him a favor. Need to find my gloves, sure is cold without them.

In San Antonio it is now illegal to leave pets outside in this kind of weather. Sure glad I do not live there, they might make me bring the cows and deer inside the house. In 2020 when it got so cold for a week the calves all had white tips on the ears from frost bite? They looked normal by the time they were 6 months old and went to the auction.

On the Practical Machinist forum a member explained that you all have unfrozen lakes around you, that buffers the cold air. makes perfect sense.
Last edited by FredC on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.