Christmas Eve forecast

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Culpeper

Re: Christmas Eve forecast

Post by Culpeper »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:35 pm
Hmmm ... a bowl of Chili or Hot Fudge Sunday sounds pretty good!
Mmmm ... Hot Fudge Chili
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Post by FredC »

Culpeper wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:10 am
Mmmm ... Hot Fudge Chili
I am not sure I have ever had a hot fudge Sunday. Sounds good though. If I ever was to eat one in the future, I think it would be after I finished the chili.

Br, do you ever feel guilty when you when your neighbors are below zero and you are in relatively warm air of 6 or 20 above zero?

Evidently, this blast will be relatively short lived. We should be above freezing all day long starting Sunday afternoon. Above normal temperatures in the 7 to 14 day forecast. That cannot come soon enough for me.
Made a crock pot of chicken soup last night and had hot soup for breakfast with guacamole on the side to up the calories. Off to work now.

Looked this up: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... dge-sundae Sounds good, now I am sure I never had one.
ColdOutThere.jpg
ColdOutThere.jpg (102 KiB) Viewed 313 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Sunday morning should be 26F with a high in the 50s. Monday morning in San Antonio it will be 30F. We may be a couple of degrees warmer so tonight might the end of this spell for us. The news has been calling this a "once in a generation" cold spell. For us it is no were near as bad as 83, 89 or 2021. I guess they could be referring to the rest of the country. Hopefully they are wrong and the rest of you have it as "not so bad". The 7 to 14 day forecast still has us warmer than normal, again I hope you all see the same.

I will have cowboy cookies and ice cream left over for the next spell. Plan on finishing that second avocado tomorrow. Guacamole is good stuff.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

FredC wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:32 am The news has been calling this a "once in a generation" cold spell. For us it is no were near as bad as 83, 89 or 2021.
Or a younger generation, we have seen colder Christmas' here in my 60+ years!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

As Christmas approached, we got rain and wind in S.E. Michigan.
I lost my AT&T home phone and high-speed internet service on Friday. (Natural gas, electric lines and TV cable gave us no problem).
My house phone and internet came on this afternoon.

Christmas Eve (morning) temperatures hung near zero. All weekend a fine grainy snow came down, but only about 2 inches of actual accumulation.
It all seemed to drift against my garage doors and the county snow-plow compacted snow at my driveway apron.

I got my shovel workout clearing the drive for the mail-carrier, guests, and getting to Church.

S.E. Michigan is protected by a "bubble", The Great Lakes and Hot Fudge. A lot of bad stuff, headed our way, actually hits Northern Ohio.
If temperatures are above zero, road salt & plows keep Michigan roads functional.
(If the wind switches and comes out of the N.E., We can get some serious 'lake-effect' snow)!

Parts of N.Y. State seem configured to be a perfect 'snow machine'.
Attachments
Sanders.jpg
Sanders.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Sanders toppings.jpg
Sanders toppings.jpg (724.69 KiB) Viewed 260 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Glad to hear from you. Loss of the internet explains the absence.

Looks like this artic blast is a once in a generation thing for many. To cause 2 dozen deaths in the Buffalo area it must have been something as the people there deal with it so often. Looks like they may be in for some warmer than normal temps soon. I bet it cannot come soon enough for them.

I would have taken 5 degrees colder and another day or 2 if it would have made a difference for them. Beside it would have been an excuse for more Cowboy Cookies and ice cream. That Sanders stuff looks like the real deal, sure would not need it here in the summer.

A question, those lakes that are slow to ice over and moderate the extremes, do they finally ice over later? If so, does that extend your cold weather as they thaw?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

When the water is open in the winter, the west wind picks up moisture and increases the snowfall about 30 to 80 miles inland from our western coast areas.
If the Wind comes out of the North, down the length of an 'open' Lake Huron, the Detroit area and S.E. Michigan gets a lot of Winter precipitation.
But, our normal prevailing Wind is from the S.W.

The Great Lakes can, but don't always freeze-over. The Lakes are connected and always moving to the Atlantic Ocean, via the St. Lawrence River. It takes a lot of extreme cold temperatures for the Lakes to completely 'freeze over'.

When the Lakes freeze over it reduces the air's moisture content and reduces snowfall.
Winter snowfall and the Spring melt in The Great Lakes States and Ontario maintain the water levels of The Great Lakes and inland lakes and rivers.

Back in Colonial times, the Detroit River and Great Lakes would freeze over in late December or January. Horse-drawn sleighs would run and quickly carry communications between Niagara and Detroit.

Since the early 20th Century, Great Lakes shipping continues into mid-November and resumes with the Spring Thaw and Ice Breakers clearing shipping channels.

You don't go swimming in The Great Lakes till late June or early July. You don't swim in Lake Superior till August, and it is always cold!

When you are on the Great Lakes, it is kind of like the Ocean, but without salt or tide. Cities and generating plants putting 'warm' water into the Lakes have likely changed freezing patterns and ice formation.

The Lakes do moderate our weather extremes and stabilize our rainfall during the growing season.
Attachments
Niagara_Escarpment_map.png
Niagara_Escarpment_map.png (35.91 KiB) Viewed 252 times
greatlakesformed.jpg
greatlakesformed.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Lake Michigan Wind-Power.jpg
Lake Michigan Wind-Power.jpg (41.67 KiB) Viewed 252 times