Bore Scopes

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Bore Scopes

Post by butlersrangers »

On another forum, a Mauser owner shooting 'crap' ammo was unhappy with his rifle's accuracy.

Photos show his rifle's bore to be a bit rough.

He bought a borescope and posted a scary video. It kind of looks like a colonoscopy!
Immediately, he decided to sell the Mauser.

I know it's a neat tool, but I don't believe I will ever use a borescope.
I'm sure it would discourage me from shooting any vintage rifle.

P0H0

Re: Bore Scopes

Post by P0H0 »

Here is four bore scope videos I did to compare:

#1 M1917 Eddystone with 11-17 barrel

#2 No 4 Mk 2 Enfield fresh out of mummy wrap (new 1955 rifle)

#3 New Fulton FAR-15 A2 (New 2022 Rifle)

Lastly, a really scary bore scope of my 1898 Krag :shock:

#4 Shot-out 1898 Krag

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Now I'm going to have bad dreams for the rest of the year!

I better schedule a colonoscopy for my 75th Birthday to see if I'm "shot out"?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I'm blind!

But to be fair I have a 1917 that was choked black with fouling. Wore out close to fifteen brushes. Then decided to blow it out. Still wore out brushes but at least I could see the remnants of the rifling. But son-of-a-gun, don't ya know the rifle can shoot a straight line.
Attachments
The hideousness of that bore will haunt my dreams forever..jpg
The hideousness of that bore will haunt my dreams forever..jpg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Yeah, I have heard that despite appearances some barrels maintain great accuracy.

King carp

Post by King carp »

My gunsmith says thanks to bore scopes he has a lot of new jobs putting new barrels on rifles. He says shoot the rifle first before worrying about a new barrel. But in spite of this customers insist on rebarreling. I have a ruger no.1 in 25-06 whose bore looks like alligator hide. That rifle shoots nice small groups. I have a bore scope and use it for inspecting my cleaning efforts. I have also used it to lower the price of several purchases of used firearms. Once the owner got a look at what he was selling he was willing to come down on his price. I would not purchase a used firearm without using the scope. It has kept me from making some big money mistakes.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I invested in a nice Hawk eye borescope many years ago and have written about using it and feel certain that it's one of the best investments I ever made for my collection other than specific firearms. Ranks up there in importance second only to my home security system investment. I use it constantly to check all new purchases. I have learned much more about bore condition, damage, cleaning bores, the use of different chemical cleaners and brushes for cleaning, etc. It certainly feeds my OCD a bunch! I know that not everyone would use one much or care as much about bore condition but it has been good for me. I learned years ago about the benefits of rifling over pitting concerns. Heck, even clean bores in many guns don't improve shooting accuracy. But, the borescope I have has definitely allowed me the ability to enjoy my hobby more. (I am one of the few who enjoys cleaning guns, by the way. Great past time!) There are many less expensive digital scopes available now that are easy to use.