Get yours now before they are all gone.!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Get yours now before they are all gone.!

Post by FredC »

Local news item- Someone at the San Antonio Airport had his 84mm Carl Gustav anti-tank weapon confiscated because he had not declared it in his checked luggage. The news people described it as an 84 mm rifle. They had some stock footage of some soldiers firing one and I could see some exhaust smoke coming out the back so it looks like what I would call a bazooka.
WHAT!!!
Apparently, it is legal to own these things and travel with them if you check the right boxes. They interviewed a TSA agent and she said that it is legal to travel with them in your checked luggage if the paperwork is properly done. So, print your check lists out make sure you have all the boxes checked and there you go. You could also get some business cards printed up like Paladin--- "Have bazooka will travel."

There cannot be very many of these things for sale, you need to get your before they are all gone. I am guessing the ammo will be hard to find. So, getting a set of loading dies will be important. That fitted case was a nice touch also.
Attachments
84mmRifle.jpg
84mmRifle.jpg (524.71 KiB) Viewed 370 times

butlersrangers

Re: Get yours now before they are all gone.!

Post by butlersrangers »

Sensationalism .... what passes for "News".

A balanced news report would interview the owner to get his or her (or its) side of the story.
At least one of the several "Gun Experts" might shed some insight into the 'WHY' of having one and the actual danger it poses.

Is it really a 'GUN' or actually a rocket launcher tube?

Can it be used to eradicate Wild Hogs at night?

Inquiring and Fair minds want to know???

FredC

Post by FredC »

Actually they were pretty fair about it. The TSA agent said the paper work is pretty easy to do. That was my suggestion to have a check list before you travel and make sure you have checked all the boxes. Saves the embarrassment of being on the news.

If the wild hogs start traveling in armored vehicles and tanks, I think it will be time to pack up and go somewhere else when that happens!

I think it is actually a rocket launcher. I have doubts the thing hs any rifling. Those commercial fireworks that shake the house when they go off 2 miles away might make appropriate "ammo".

You might be onto something there. One of those heavy fireworks fired into a herd might give them all heart attacks. :-)

Anyway, while we have been discussing this there are probably less of these things available for sale, hurry before they are all gone.

Whig

Post by Whig »

But you can't fly with toothpaste or a nail file.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Whig wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:22 pm But you can't fly with toothpaste or a nail file.
Pretty funny!

I think you can put the toothpaste and nail file in your checked stuff. I doubt they would let you carry on the anti-tank weapon.

I need one like an extra hole in the head, but I would not mind having one in my hands for a couple of days so i could take it apart and put it back together again. Probably all kinds of interesting details inside.

I worked for an outfit that had several planes at an airport washing and waxing the planes. It was interesting watching the private planes come in and see passengers get out with their gun cases so they could hunt on the nearby hunting ranches. Many of them did not even have luggage. A car picked them up and they flew back out the same day. I guess their trophies were shipped to them later.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dang it ... now I want one, especially if I travel through Chicago!

It's rifled, not a bazooka or rocket launcher, and it's been around longer than me!

Not Norwegian, but Swedish, and it would fit-in with my Swedish Mausers.

The Carl Gustav 'recoilless rifle' has been around since 1946.
Because of the shock wave, the Swedish Military limits 'Gunners in training' to six rounds per day.
Ammo cost is $500 to $3,000 per round. (Save your Brass)!

The "Charlie G" (British Nickname) has been used by an amazing number of countries. (I bet the U.S. left a few in Afghanistan).

Be sure you and your loader wear 'double hearing-protection'.

I suspect this weapon falls under the BATF's "Destructive Device" regulations, (with special fees, registration & license, after background investigation), and that the news story omitted that detail.
Without ammunition it is just ballast!
Attachments
Carl Gustav.jpg
Carl Gustav.jpg (257.3 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle.jpg
Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle.jpg (120.53 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Charlie G.jpg
Charlie G.jpg (96.65 KiB) Viewed 346 times

FredC

Re: Get yours now before they are all gone!

Post by FredC »

Even without ammo it is cool to look at. Maybe it is better to just look. The minute you got the permit/license and plunked down your cash a deal would show up on a pristine 96 carbine that you always wanted, and you will not have the cash for it.

Makes you wonder what a set of loading dies for it would cost to build. The dies and projectile would not fit any press that you have ever seen, so you would need to have a custom press built. Even the ammo for this thing would be cool to look at and hold in your hands.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe that recoilless rifle ammunition is extremely complex and totally beyond the equipment, components and ability of any reloader.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

The rest of the story is weird!

Post by FredC »

Turns out the traveler with the 84mm recoiless rifle had properly declared it. Someone at the airline forgot to notify the screeners. Whoops.
You think that is strange, it gets worse. The rifle in question is an inert prop. It was going to a show in Vegas. Further guidance from TSA says even though the proper notification was made the prop cannot be transported on an airline. BUT a real working Carl Gustav recoiless 84m rifle can be transported. WHAT!

The traveler was allowed to continue on a later flight to Vegas a relative had to pick up the prop.

Another odd thing is the local channel 5 station got all the relative descriptions and comments on the regulations correct.

Br, your post got in before mine just barely. Quote "I believe that recoilless rifle ammunition is extremely complex and way beyond the equipment, components and ability of the home reloader."

I was having fun typing, hope someone else got a chuckle out of the idea of reloading that monster.