When life gives you day light savings time make

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

When life gives you day light savings time make

Post by FredC »

Ran out of characters in the subject line. Woke up this morning about 6:00, too dark to go out and work on the ranch, so I went into the kitchen and put on a big pot of chili. It has been said that real Texans do not put beans in the there chili, but I have always made it with beans. I will ask my little brother if my grandmother made it with beans. I think so, but my memory is getting a little fuzzy on stuff from my childhood. My great grand father was a Texan during the Civil War then took a temporary job with the railroad in Mexico after the war, so my grandmother was born there. So we have pretty deep Texas roots. I think these "no beans in the chili" Texans are just Johnny come lately wannabes. I will get back with you on that after I ask my brothers.
Anyway when I get back to the house for lunch the whole house will smell good. Another way to deal with the time change.

FredC

Re: When life gives you day light savings time make

Post by FredC »

My brother came back and yes Grandmother's chili had beans.

Did an informal 2 person survey here a few minutes ago. I asked a couple of local old timers if their grandmothers made chili with beans and got yes from both. Howard's grand parents have a similar history to ours with one ancestor going back to as far as getting the Spanish Crown's permission to establish a garrison in east Texas in 1799. Official as far as I am concerned real Texas chili has beans. Howard said it is the rodeo crowd's idea of no beans.
So you can make chili without beans if you like it that way, just do not say it is the only REAL Texas chili.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Could the no beans types be a case of chili snobbery? I know if I had a bunch of kids or farm hands to feed I would put beans and whatever else in the pot to make it go further.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Post by FredC »

Could the no beans types be a case of chili snobbery? I know if I had a bunch of kids or farm hands to feed I would put beans and whatever else in the pot to make it go further.

I think you may have something there.

Just got back from lunch and my wife had made some corn bread with cheese and jalapenos. For me it does not get too much better. She was in hospice a couple of years ago, but fooled everyone by graduating in the good way.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Chili - No Beans
Chili Con Carne - With Beans

If you cook in a cookoff sanctioned by the International Chili Society, Traditional Chili must be only meat and vegetables (peppers, onions, etc.). No fillers INCLUDING beans! They do have a Chili Con Carne category, and also a vegetarian category!

Back from 1978, right up to the mid 1990s, my family was involved with putting on the official Michigan Championship Chili Cookoff - My dad, my uncle, and a few others started it and ran it for almost 20 years.

By the way... I LOVE good spicy chili!!!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Definitely gotta have the beans. But of course, the house will have a whole new smell to it afterwards. Not a problem if you have dogs.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

;D

FredC

Post by FredC »

Paul,
I guess an sanctioning body like the International Chili Society would have to have rules and definitions to make the completion fair. Just saying us with deep Texas roots have chili hundreds of years of history and Texas chili was made with beans and meat. Other places have other traditions, the San Antonio chili queens were responsible for the later traditions, not even sure what was served in the squares in old San Antonio. They were gone before I was here.
https://www.uiw.edu/sanantonio/jenningschiliqueens.html

Anyway making a pot of chili was a good way to kill an hour before going to work. Stinking daylight savings time.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't speak Spanish, but, IIRC - Chili Con Carne" means: Chili with meat.

My wife's family (Detroit by way of Poland) and my family (Detroit by way of British-Canada, French-Canada, and Germany) have always made Chili with Chili beans and meat.

But what do we know? .... and we are not 'Texas Tough' on peppers and spicing!

Actually, our big food debate involves Northern Michigan (Cornish) Pasties.
Is it correct to include chopped carrots with the chopped Rutabaga (a.k.a. Swedish Turnip)?
Do you put ketchup or gravy on your pasty?
.... ummm, maybe I will try putting Chili on top of my next Pasty!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Haggis! There's a dish that'll make a man of effeminate chilli eaters. Nobody makes a good haggis these days.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, laddie.

...but only haggis with beans is the right haggis.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio