In the Trenches

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

In the Trenches

Post by Culpeper »

Alrighty guys. How are things on the ammo and reloading fronts?

Has the well went dry like it did ten years ago?

I hope it never gets as bad as the lollipop famine of '36.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Bill77

Re: In the Trenches

Post by Bill77 »

I'm sitting pretty good as the time to be prepared was long before this. We'll get through it eventually, it's just a matter on if your current inventory can hold out.

I see people that complain about people "hoarding" ammo and components instead of just buying what they need and I've always found that comical. Who are those people to determine what I "need"? Usually those same people are the ones complaining about not being able to find anything. I've been stacking it high and deep for years so that I really don't worry when shortages like this happen.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I have a different view.

I have enough reloading supplies to shoot for a long time. I don't "Hose" with ammo. I enjoy Fire Discipline.

But, a lot of people frantically buying and stockpiling large amounts of supplies, disrupts normal orderly distribution,
creates anxiety & an artificial shortage, and really drives up the cost.

I won't spend $20 for a $6 box of 9mm ammo.

(Did anyone actually run out of toilet paper, last Spring)?

P.S. - Vast stashes of supplies also creates a headache for your heirs!

Bill77

Post by Bill77 »

I'm not sure that our views are different though. I have plenty of what I need and my buying habits have never changed - I also take more enjoyment in practical accuracy and not "hosing" targets. It's just that as result of being prepared, I don't have a need to go out and pay the ridiculous prices that things are going for these days. I will weather the storm for the next couple of years without having to scrounge around for anything. That's the benefit of buying ammo, primers or projectiles by the case or powder by the 8# jug or 40# cask - it keeps me from having to go back to the feed trough (a retailer) nearly as often. It's not "hoarding", it's being practical.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - People, who are practical, buy adequate amounts at opportune times, manage and rotate their resources, are smart.

Some reloading supplies have a finite 'shelf-life' and will deteriorate in time.

Panic Buyers are just a pain and screw-up the market.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Personally, I have enough ammo loaded and ready to be reloaded that I should have enough in every caliber for the rest of my life for hunting and occasional plinking. And enough to give my sons/grandsons a good start.

Now if the Zombie apocalypse were to be realized, well then I will be woefully short.