Load Suggestions

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Whig

Re: Load Suggestions

Post by Whig »

Opera, these are all good questions. Without trying to be all encompassing and exacting in detail, I will ramble on about a few things to stimulate discussion. (I am tired and don't feel like pulling out recods of mine that might help.)

First, all of the Krag rear sights have the same screw hole separations and use similar screw threads but each sight needs screws designed for that specific sight because there are differences in length and top design to some of these screws. You can leave the hand guard off because those are different for different sights and become an annoyance to match. We'll leave that for a separate discussion. I have found the M1901 rear sight to be my preference in long range shooting for my Krag rifle.

The bullet shape, as you mention, can introduce some variables to the Krag shooting experience. Some of the pointed, Spitzer type bullets don't feed real well through the magazine into the chamber as well as round nose bullets do. It's not always an issue, though. Longer bullets can be seated deeper into the case but you run the risk of lessening the case volume and increasing pressure or possibly having to compress powder depending on which powder you use and total grains loaded. These can both affect chamber pressure and velocity.

If you have a longer bullet with a longer C.O.A.L., you run the risk of not feeding well through the magazine and running the bullet too deep into the chamber, or hitting the rifling, and making the round harder to chamber well. That can affect chamber pressure and velocity.

The diameter of the bullet you are using may be larger than you bore diameter. We have discussed slugging the barrel or casting your chamber to determine some of these dimensions in the Krag you are using. That could affect pressure and velocity.

You probably know this stuff but, as I said, I just thought I'd ramble on some.

You could benefit from using a Hornady OAL Case Gauge to measure your chamber OAL measurement but you'd need to make your own modified case because they don't make one for the .30-40 Krag caliber. I made my own and have found this to be very useful.

So, there are many variables that can affect your velocities and pressures. The Chronometer used can give false or variable readings, so, you want to make sure you are using a good one properly.

Hope some of this helps. Keep us informed as to your progress so we can learn from your experimentation and success. Good luck!

operavoice

Post by operavoice »

The cross compatibility knowledge is a great help, thank you.

The nice thing about this last range trip was determining that my rifle really doesn't care what bullet profile I feed it.
They all chambered easily, with no snags.

My rifle didn't come with a handguard, so I'm not going to worry about matching anything.

I use a Caldwell Chrono that has been known to throw a ludicrously hot reading at me occasionally.
Once a 7.62x39 load clocked in over 4100fps.
It's just never happened twice in a row.

Off to see if I can source a sight that won't break the bank.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Original Krag sights attach to the barrel, (not the receiver).

All the U.S. Krag sight models have the same hole spacing and barrel location.

The different sight models require 'sight specific' screws and different and specific handguards.

Your front-sight blade sounds like it is too tall for your current rear-sight, (model 1896?).
A blade that is too tall will cause a rifle to shoot and group below the point of aim.

The correct blade for use with the model 1896 rifle sight is shorter than the .413" blade, that was used with the 1901 and 1902 rifle rear-sights.

The 1901 and 1902 sights were adopted and made standard in order to provide windage correction.

operavoice

Post by operavoice »

I replaced the Lyman front sight a long time ago.
Even the new, shorter one that I had ground down, drilled and pinned by a gunsmith after laser bore sighting) is hammering 3-4" low at 50 yards.
I think I need to have him take another crack at it, because the front sight post is also slightly loose (not enough for a3.5" drop at 50 yards though).
Attachments
Krag Lyman.jpg
Krag Lyman.jpg (56.07 KiB) Viewed 940 times