30-40 Ammo Pull-downs replaced with Pyrodex

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Kerz

30-40 Ammo Pull-downs replaced with Pyrodex

Post by Kerz »

I've never heard of such a practice. CMP Forum: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=273708

Vic

"I sold my old 30-40 rifle (Win 1895). I still have factory new box of 20 rounds (remington) plus 30 rounds that were pulled, the powder dumped and replaced with pyrodex. I was thinking of putting them on Gun Broker as I recently saw 30-40 ammo sell for what I felt was big bucks. I just am unclear how to ship as I believe shipping ammo starting in January 2021 is different than in the past. So many new rules and regs to keep up with."
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

butlersrangers

Re: 30-40 Ammo Pull-downs replaced with Pyrodex

Post by butlersrangers »

If you read all of the CMP thread, (2 pages), there is a weird, sort of, explanation.

Someone had a model 1895 Winchester with a rough nickel-steel bore. They dumped the factory load and substituted Pyrodex to "shoot the sewer-pipe bore smoother".

I don't quite get the logic. I would not use Pyrodex. (I guess, someone wanted to lower the pressure and slow velocity)?

Pyrodex requires aggravating clean-up of bore and brass.

If you want to engage in Alchemy, better results probably would have been achieved by an aggressive cleaning, lapping the bore, or shooting cast bullets lubricated with toothpaste, valve-grinding compound, or J.B. Bore paste!

waterman

Post by waterman »

Pyrodex in almost anything is not a good idea. Lots of cleaning problems for both rifle & brass. But the 30-40 case was never intended for black powder or any BP substitute. In a bottle-necked case with jacketed bullets, might be really asking for trouble. There are a great many low power loads for the Krag case, close to 100 years of loading manuals with good ideas.

The new laws will turn many of us into criminals. Here in CA, we already are.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Late to the party here... but I agree! I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot Pyrodex out of a rifle designed to shoot smokeless! Like Waterman said, you're asking for trouble! An aggressive cleaning would likely provide better results. Remember - Do no harm!