ERROR IN LYMAN 50th RELOADING MANUAL FOR KRAG

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Mike4MSU

ERROR IN LYMAN 50th RELOADING MANUAL FOR KRAG

Post by Mike4MSU »

Ive contacted and alerted Lyman as to a potential catastrophic overcharge in their manual for 30-40 Krag and 180gr bullets

In looking through my manual for a fellow member, I found an error where Lyman recommends a starting point of 38gr with a max of 42gr of IMR4895 for 180gr bullets. Hodgdon website lists a max of 35.5gr for a 180gr bullet. Im not a fan of IMR4895 for the Krag, but wanted to post this information to warn others. Ive taken screen shots of both the manual and Hodgdon website, but was reluctant to post in case someone saved or printed the image without the warning.

psteinmayer

Re: ERROR IN LYMAN 50th RELOADING MANUAL FOR KRAG

Post by psteinmayer »

I often find variances in charge weights between different manuals... but usually its not too far apart. Personally, I consider the Hornady 9th and 10th editions my loading Bibles! I HAVE discovered errors in load data in Lyman's 49th edition... a couple of which I would consider dangerous. I also remember hearing about a guy who's Garand went boom with deadly results, and the guy had been using Lyman's 49th. I'm not saying his failure was due to a manual error, there was also the possibility of some Bullseye finding it's way into the case too. The point I'm trying to make is it's always a good idea to check several sources when working up loads!

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Totally agree with you regarding consulting several sources. I wanted to post this one because I view it as potentially catastrophic and specific for 30-40 Krag reloders. Max to max load is a 7gr difference, thats substantial. I wouldnt want to shoot that load or even be next to it if someone else were to shoot it. Everyone who starts reloading started off new. I know I reached out to several of my seasoned reloading friends and read a lot before I ever loaded my first round. But thats me, not everyone. I could see a younger me potentially following a dangerous recipe from a printed reputable 50th printing and not consulting other sources. Maybe Im still new enough to reloading myself to have not experienced this extreme before, but my intent is simply to alert reloaders to a potential overcharge.

King carp

Post by King carp »

It's pretty scary when a starting load from one manual is higher than a max load from another. I have always started on the low end and worked up carefully. This usually resulted in finding the most accurate load before reaching the maximum load. This puts a different bend on things. You are right when you recommend cross referencing before loading. It is a lot easier to do now verses 40 years ago. Thanks for the heads up and I hope a correction is made in the manual. Be safe!
KC

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

Thanks for the warning. I have six different manufacturers, it can be confusing, when loading for a new caliber. I loaded some 30-06 rounds to 2700 fps according to one manual, and it was not near their max load. It resulted in flat primers, a partially backed out primer and a split case.

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

Same data is in Lyman 45th edition. Must have been no problems since 1970.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

So its the information from Hodgdons own website that caused me concern and seem to indicate a potential overcharge.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

With that said, they list other 308 rounds that are higher than Lyman for the same powder (IMR 4895) and bullet weight (180gr).

30-06: start 45, max 48
.308: start 40.5, max 44.7

Could be as simple as unfamiliarity with the round and being overly cautious/conservative.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

I reached out Lyman and after some screenshots and back and forth, here is their response:

Hello,

I have checked with the techs and here is the information received.

We are listed at a higher charge weight than other published data however we have thoroughly tested these loads in house and have been printing that data for several years with no negative feedback.

Its safe data as long as the firearm is in good working order and not an antique or something along those lines.

Thank you

Customer Service Team
Lyman Products

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Not many rifles chambered for .30-40, that are ... "not an antique or something along those lines".

FredC

Post by FredC »

Probably less pressure than the guy shooting factory 303 British rounds in his Krag.
Maybe Parashooter could run quick load on the offending Lyman recommendation. I will be busy doing some planting the next couple of days.
Has anyone seen loading data for use in Ruger #3s or custom #1 single shots. The pressure and charge weights could be similar to 308 Winchesters I would imagine.
Passed on a #3 in 30/40 right after I got married, did not have the $85.00!