Reloading supplies 🤑

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
kerry49

Reloading supplies 🤑

Post by kerry49 »

An avid lurker here. Just read a post from the string "new member from nm" by the estimable Culpepper to buy reloading supplies NOW. I have been procrastinating and farting around the last couple of years and didn't get things like powder and primers purchased, even though I have most of what I need to reload for the USKrag swedish mauser and 30-06.
So the question is what are your thoughts on making these powder/primer purchases now? Every commercial source is out of stock. Going to the secondary market, like Gunbroker, you find what you need at 4-5 times the commercial list price. Please, I understand how that works. Will the commercial markets recover? They have in the past for shortages, but who knows now. How are you filling your needs? Thanks!

Whig

Re: Reloading supplies 🤑

Post by Whig »

Hate to say it but mostly the only people buying now, whatever can actually be found, are people who have more money than sense. There are tons of people searching and searching and not finding anything they need and some searching, finding high priced items and buying whatever they find, regardless of price. Not very smart. The "smart" ones (fortunate in most cases) are ones who have been stocking up for years when the prices were more normal or cheap.

I've been reloading for decades and have always had more than I need bought and put away for times like this. I was raised like that. Didn't learn it too much the hard way but I have searched and searched for things in the past. We have always told people to stock up. Try not to learn the hard way.

The problem comes in many situations for newcomers who never have had the chance to buy and put away. They're new on the scene. That's hard. I suspect prices will, eventually, come down and more will be available.

There are some local gun stores who have powder and bullets available. Primers are a different story. Prices are quite variable. Most gun stores are pricing based on demand. I can't blame them. They also have to replace stock, when they can, at current prices. We have a gun store, not far away from me, that has powder by the case piled high on shelves. He always has been well stocked. Out of a few common powders but has most and he has NOT raised prices. Good for him. He has been busy. But no primers. They just aren't out there more than a stray box or two.

Good luck. Might have to wait a while but hopefully things will get better I don't expect too soon, though. I don't support scalpers selling on Gun Broker. Absurd prices like I've never seen.

Get used to dry firing!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Primers are definitely the biggest problem. Ammunition manufacturers admit that their primers are prioritized for their live ammo manufacturing. Reloaders have to wait until the live ammo rush dwindles and then primers will start showing up. How long? Who knows. When they do show up in some quantity you will have to be quicker then those that will scoop it up to resale at gun shows at substantially higher prices. Just the way it is. I have seen some dated 30-40 live ammo (Remington) at a local gun store that is going for $44 per box of 20. Been on the shelf for a few weeks now.

Now would be a good time to get into muzzleloaders if you haven't already. Especially flintlock. Get you some lead/mold, flints and blackpowder. Shoot it and save on your centerfire ammo until the "ammo crisis" is over. You can even hunt with it. A 20 gauge flintlock fowler will get you into deer/bear hunting along with bird hunting and small game when using shot. Trying not to brag, but I have first hand experience with it since this was my passion before discovering the Krag Jorgensen and my connection with it.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Just to be certain in these the third componets shortage of our times, the first being the Great Lolipop Famine of '47, you need to buy components/ammo when you see it because if you blink or even hesitate to add to cart it will be gone. But most importantly you have to make the decision based on money. Buy inflated and be in a tizzie or wait it out. Only you the Kragite can decide.

Can't buy primers? Buy powder.
Can't buy primers or powder? Buy brass or bullets.
Can't buy components? Buy ammo.
Can't buy ammo at a reasonable price? Wait and weather the storm.

The O'Barky Dry Spell only ran a couple of years. I'm thinking this one will run for five years.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

Well Hummm ... I look at MidwayUSA shooting supply ... They have been out of 30 Cal bullets for a long time ... Today just in they have a big variety of 30 Cal ... One I like is Sierra 30 cal 180 GR. round nose and its on sale 37 dollars for 100 bullets ... that is a good deal ... It looks to me that things are getting better ...

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Aye but the limit is two. That tells me we are not even close to end of the dry spell.

But if you need bullets... BUY IT NOW
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I stopped at 'Rural King' today, since I was driving by the store.

The ammo shelves were bare except for 7.62 mm 'steel cased' Russian Mosin and .308 Winchester 'tactical' (by Norma).

I don't own a Mosin, anymore. But, I do have a 'scoped' .308 bolt-gun.

$17.00 for a 20 round box of Norma, seemed reasonable. I bought two 20 rd. boxes, because it was there!

I was planning on loading a couple of boxes of .308 Winchester, this weekend.
Now I don't have to. I'll do .30-40 or .30-06 instead.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Uncertain times and the recent increase of 5 million new firearm owners has created an ammo and component shortage. If you are not one of these new owners you have to ask yourself how much ammo is enough? You should already have that amount on hand. If not I would wait it out and not feed the profiteers that appear when shortages occur. I would go Knute's route and try some black powder to quell the shooting urge. I have a couple air guns that keep me in tune and save range fees in the deal.
Last edited by King carp on Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

kerry49

Post by kerry49 »

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. I do have enough ammo for "emergencies" but not enough to enjoy shooting at the range. I have quite a bit of brass from shooting my old rifles and have bought some likely bullets I'd like to try eventually. Of course it's not exactly range weather in the Midwest right now, so that keeps the urges at bay. It's getting harder to see so I've put scopes on my 22Henry and my Oberndorf Swede M38. Had to use a few rounds there to sight them in. Think I'm done til spring except for my 1900 Oberndorf M96 rescue project.