Range report 1898 carbine

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Re: Range report 1898 carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

Fred: You 'ratted me out'. I now have an appointment to see Sister Mary of the Decimal, on Monday, to receive my consequences for past transgressions and miscalculations. I am sure the penance for my misfractions will be sizeable.

In regard to Larry's nice carbine stock, I would not use epoxy bedding.
I would 'smoke' the action area, around the front action-screw/receiver ring/ barrel chamber, with some burning candle soot. I would put the barreled-action in the stock and rock it a bit. Soot will rub off on the wood 'high spots'.
I would use a small sharp carving chisel or wood scraper to work down the high spots & repeat the process until the action sits flat and the .05000" barrel rise is eliminated.
(My hunch is that the "high spot" is where the receiver ring sits in the stock).

Don't use a Dremel Tool!
A sharp hand tool, going slow and checking progress will cure the problem and cause no harm or loss of value.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Recycled jokes are sometimes as funny as the first time around. :-)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am not infallible in 'Matters of the Krag', like the Pope is!
Attachments
pope barreled krag3.jpeg
pope barreled krag3.jpeg (77.06 KiB) Viewed 1609 times

larrys

Post by larrys »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:40 pm Fred: You 'ratted me out'. I now have an appointment to see Sister Mary of the Decimal, on Monday, to receive my consequences for past transgressions and miscalculations. I am sure the penance for my misfractions will be sizeable.

In regard to Larry's nice carbine stock, I would not use epoxy bedding.
I would 'smoke' the action area, around the front action-screw/receiver ring/ barrel chamber, with some burning candle soot. I would put the barreled-action in the stock and rock it a bit. Soot will rub off on the wood 'high spots'.
I would use a small sharp carving chisel or wood scraper to work down the high spots & repeat the process until the action sits flat and the .05000" barrel rise is eliminated.
(My hunch is that the "high spot" is where the receiver ring sits in the stock).

Don't use a Dremel Tool!
A sharp hand tool, going slow and checking progress will cure the problem and cause no harm or loss of value.
That smoke trick is new to me. In another life I used to use blue dykem to check the mating surfaces of metal parts in much the same way. Agree that scraping/carving is less invasive than epoxy bedding. So smoke and a sharp carving tool(s) will be the path that I will take. Thanks!
Larry

FredC

Post by FredC »

If the smoke trick does not work for you because of the dark wood on your stock maybe Prussian blue (Maybe that is what you meant) will work for you. I used it in finally finding the interference on my sporter. My stock was probably much lighter than a typical Krag stock though. Having a back up is always a good plan.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - Sister Mary of the Decimal gave me a 'measured consequence', this morning. I'm recalibrated!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Yeah, everyone makes one of those once in a while. I made one once where I saw the dimension 4.2501 as 4.5001 inches. I was boring out a big 3 row chain sprocket. 4.5 was way too big. Got me fired even though we cut out the hub and welded a new one in and bored it to 4.25 in the same day.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Am I Fired? ......................... Good, Pay's the same!

FredC

Post by FredC »

BR,
Just my past history with a dimensional mistake. That mistake led to a 40 year adventure in self employment, so actually it turned out well for me. Wish all my mistakes turned out so well.
Your mistake was only worth a couple of chuckles so far. I think I have run out of jokes on this one. If there are any more you or someone else will have to think of them.
Don't even think about quitting here. You are too valuable.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some of life's mistakes and misadventures can have a way of encouraging us to improve .... at least that's what the Nuns say .... ouch!

I do want to see Larry approach 0001.000 inch groups, with his nice carbine and reloads!

(FWIW - There is an odd phenomena with the little .30 cal. M1 carbine.
When the 'hook', on the rear of the semi-auto receiver, is properly seated into its metal-plate on the stock, the barrel is about 1/2 inch above the barrel-channel at the stock tip. The barrel has to be pressed down to slide the barrel-band into place.
M1 carbines seem to shoot best with the barrel under a bit of tension and pressing upward against the barrel-band/bayonet-lug assembly).

I don't believe Krags profit from this phenomena at all.