Range report 1898 carbine

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
larrys

Re: Range report 1898 carbine

Post by larrys »

I once bought a used Mossberg 800BM. .243 Win., Mannlicher style stock, with a Mannlicher style butter knife bolt handle. A real pretty piece in new condition. It shot patterns at 100 yards. When I removed the front barrel piece, the front of the stock moved away from the barrel a full 3/8's of an inch. After glass bedding and a bit of trigger work, it became a tack driver.
Will be playing with a candle and some tools this week. I will get those groups tightened up.
Larry

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Larry: 1.0000 inch groups would be Awesome Exceptional, 00.100 inch groups would be Bizarre Bench-Rest,
and 00.0100 inch groups would be Walk On Water Miraculous!

Have fun and keep us posted!

BTW - Under 2.50 inch groups, at 100 yds. with a Krag, is mighty good shooting. We are pulling for you!

larrys

Post by larrys »

I spent about an hour playing with a smoky candle and some wood scrapers fitting the barrel and receiver to the stock. High points were under the loading door, on the other side under the side plate, and at the front of the receiver, base of the barrel area. Got some range time yesterday, I shot a couple of honest 4" diameter groups off the bench at 100 yards. With my tired eyes that's pretty good. Am done playing now.
Larry

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Larry, good job! Sounds like you are having fun, making that Krag "your's".

I would bet that some worked-up reloads, with 170 to 180 grain 'flat-based' bullets, will shoot even tighter groups.