Krag Cast bullets in the 21st century

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Zac952

Re: Krag Cast bullets in the 21st century

Post by Zac952 »

BR thank you, that peep sight on the 1901 sight helps me alot, and with my 1903 front sight it is about dead on at 100 with my peep set to just a hair above 300, this group was set right at 300. But all in all a very enjoyable rifle to shoot.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I've finally got around to digging through some of the stuff I moved 6mo ago. A cast bullet outing is certainly in order for me. I found a lot of cast loads for the Krag, for the Garand, for the K31 and for my other rifle that's over 100yrs old, my Remington 14 in 30 Remington. I'd previously thought it was made in the 1930s. Turns out it was made in 1913!

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Madsenshooter I always like findingout a rifle is older then expected! I enjoy casting for old and odd rifles, cast bullets are alot of fun and sizing to your bore diameter can really get that precision in older rifles, iv had rifles with significant erosion and pitting in the bore that would shoot within 2 moa with properly sized bullets, I am now trying these same projectiles sized to .311 in my Krags, although. 309 gave good accuracy my sporter slugged at .309 and would foul much worse than my Krag that slugged at .308, so we will see how they like .311, I'll post the results on here in the next few weeks.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Zac952 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:46 pm. . . sizing to your bore diameter can really get that precision in older rifle . . .
Do you perhaps intend groove diameter?
BoreDia.jpg
BoreDia.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Parashooter spot on there! Groove diameter is what I meant. I used to not measure groove diameter, but after having some awful leading in a few 357 revolvers with .358 diameter bullets I measured it and all three measured out at .355 which may be odd, but one is a Gp100, the other an LCR and the third a Taurus 66, slugging the bore is not always necessary, but can help greatly on diagnosing problems, I have never slugged either of my 44s as they both do well with .429 or .430 bullets. For rifles I prefer a hardwood dowel to push the slug through the bore, or better yet you can cast the chamber with some Cerosafe and leave the stopper patch a little past the throat so you can measure the groove diameter along with checking chamber specs and condition.

FredC

Post by FredC »

The 2004 issue of Gun Digest had an 8 page article on the Hudson Krag handloads. He spent a lot of time and money working on cast bullets and powders for long range competition shooting. Some of the molds that Dr. Hudson developed are probably still available. I bet that you guys shooting cast bullets today could find some useful info there.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Thanks for that information Fred! I'll try to find it tonight, I'm always looking for more sources of reading material, especially pertaining to Krags.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Yea thanks Fred, bought a used copy for $5! I need to get the head of my bed up a little higher anyway. 2001 and 2002 alone are not high enough! I don't know how mom and dad slept in it the way it was, feet higher than your head!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Hey Fred, that is some interesting reading. It'll be awhile before the issue becomes part of the bed elevator. I found the Palma article interesting too. One year I tried duplicating the 1907 Palma load with a cast spitzer that just happened to weigh the same. It didn't work out, but I've a few other ideas to try and will get back to that once I get things sorted out around mom and dad's where I moved to not long ago after the rest of the family passed.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I only have a few of those "Gun Digests" but it seems like several had good articles on something Krag related. Another issue mentioned the "last Krag" as being the NRA carbine that the armory made from rifles. That article had a lot of historical notes, and probably most of them are correct.