Scared by technology?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Scared by technology?

Post by butlersrangers »

I know myself well enough to avoid what some shooting enthusiasts seem to be embracing.
Bore-scoping equipment and cameras seem to be getting affordable and are showing up increasingly on gun forums.
It is pretty awesome technology and may be of benefit to some shooters and restorers.
(I find it kind of like being trapped into watching someone's old home movies).

Many of the posted bore camera images confuse and scare the hell out of me. I am reminded of images from a colonoscopy!

If I started playing with a bore-scope, inspecting barrels I routinely shoot and feel comfortable with, I am sure I would never come out of my basement!
(Well, I would come out to buy more solvents, brushes, and cleaning patches).

I know, I would be compulsively trying to clean and remove bore deposits and stains revealed by "the all seeing eye". It would probably take all of the joy out of shooting for me.

I think I will just continue with bright light, natural or incandescent, and corrected vision. (LED light seems too blue or white to me and makes it difficult to see detail and texture).

IMHO - The principal test of a barrel is how well it shoots.

I likely sound overly set in my ways and resistant to innovation.
I am not opposed to better ways of doing things.
But, just because you can do something does not make it worthwhile.

Pictures like the attached one just disturb me. Maybe they make me think of my approaching mortality?
Attachments
bore-scope camera view.jpg
bore-scope camera view.jpg (102.93 KiB) Viewed 1262 times

King carp

Re: Scared by technology?

Post by King carp »

I picked up a bore scope awhile back. I would not by a new or used firearm now without it. The first time I used it (with the gun owners permission) it helped knock off $100.00 on the price of the rifle. By the way the lightly pitted bore shoots quite well. It also steared me away from a trapdoor with a very dark bore. The scope showed heavy wear on the rifling you could not see with a flashlight borescope. I also use it for inspecting brass to check for incepent head separation. It has lots of other uses,(yikes, that's a lot of ear wax!) For the price I think its well worth having one in my tool set. The scope cost $60.00 from fleabay. It plugs in my phone and you can take pics or video with it. It will fit a .22 bore on up.
Attachments
20210520_084446.gif
20210520_084446.gif (400.95 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Last edited by King carp on Thu May 20, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I have a bore scope at the shop, it also has a right angle lens that will fit for sure in a 30 caliber barrel. I have looked in a couple of barrels not having a camera attach I can not remember which one and what it looked like. So in my case a short memory and lack of a camera would be a blessing?

Br, you already know that some of your Krags shoot 110 grain bullets better than anyone would have guessed possible. Can not tell you how many times I have heard it on this forum that poor looking bores actually shoot good. If you get over being scared you could document this for us.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I like excellent bores. Not only do they generally shoot well, but, they are easy to clean!

IMHO - A rough bore may shoot very well. It is not easy to clean and I never really know when to stop.
Dirty patches keep just keep coming out of the bore.
Attachments
examine this.jpg
examine this.jpg (144.51 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

You do not know how funny your attachment is. if I leave an open post hole on the ranch and the cows are in that field they will fill it up before the next day. Never knew if it was one cow or any of them would do it.

FredC

Post by FredC »

You do not know how funny your attachment is.

if I leave an open post hole on the ranch and the cows are in that field they will fill it up before the next day. Never knew if it was one cow or any of them would do it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Scope it out" Fred!