Huber trigger on my Krag

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
GBertolet

Huber trigger on my Krag

Post by GBertolet »

I finally broke down and bought one, for one of my Krags, after much procrastinating. I installed it on my 98, which had the worst trigger. Removal of the old trigger, and installation of the new Huber was easy. I did leave a lightened replacement trigger return spring in place, that I had used for the stock trigger. After adjusting the set screw for creep, leaving just a little first stage there, I was satisfied. I did place a smear of moly grease on the sear and the ball bearing. Then I was done. For insurance, I cocked the bolt, and smacked the buttstock on the carpeted floor a few times, to test the trigger, and I was good. I put the trigger pull gauge on, and got 24 ounces. Yikes! I may have to go back to a heavy trigger return spring. The gun is safe, but still, maybe adding a pound to the pull, might be a good idea. Anyhow, the weather has been crappy here, and I have not been able to shoot the Krag yet. I will give a range report when that happens. If this works out, I may have to break down and get one for my 99 carbine.

The Huber triggers are a little pricey, but I guess you are paying for the technology, rather than the sum of the parts. Anyhow, Huber is the only game in town.

FredC

Re: Huber trigger on my Krag

Post by FredC »

Just looked at the Huber website, the photo there does not show much. Photos and ongoing reports would be appreciated. A few years ago we saw another Krag trigger I think. Maybe it is the same one.

GBertolet

Re: Huber trigger on my Krag - Range Report

Post by GBertolet »

I got to shoot the Krag today. At 100 yards offhand, 6 for 6 on the 8" plates, 3 for 3 on the 6" gong, and 1 for 3 on the 4" gong, using cast bullets. I have a 4x Weaver post & crosshair scope, on a side mount on this rifle. What a pleasure, compared to the stock trigger. Trigger pull still at 24 oz. I think I will leave it there for now. With a little bit of travel, I know where it is going to break at. This is a range gun only. A gong slayer. If I was going to hunt with it, I would increase the trigger pull somewhat. Cold fingers and light triggers do not go well together.

I know this is a subjective evaluation, but I could never shoot that rifle this well before. I did have a spare trigger assembly on hand for this project, which I used. If desired, I could easily swap triggers back, and forth, without losing any adjustments.