Camp Perry 2020

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Re: Camp Perry 2020

Post by psteinmayer »

Thanks for some of the clarification and offer to join you. I would love to give it a whirl but at this point I dont know that Iam ready for that kind of competition

Really, it looks intimidating at first... but it's really not bad. If you've shot a local match, you will be able to handle it. Plus... the Roosevelt Dinner on Thursday night makes it all worth it! Besides, if Culpeper can do it (and he did... and will again) then ANYONE can!!!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I crossed once at Perry my first year. I've crossed a few times at local matches! I once had someone cross 8 of their 10 shots in Rapid on my target, and most of them were in the ten ring! Per CMP rules, I counted the top ten which gave me a 99... and resulted in a silver! LOL

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Really, it looks intimidating at first... but it's really not bad. If you've shot a local match, you will be able to handle it. Plus... the Roosevelt Dinner on Thursday night makes it all worth it! Besides, if Culpeper can do it (and he did... and will again) then ANYONE can!!!

I crossed once at Perry my first year. I've crossed a few times at local matches! I once had someone cross 8 of their 10 shots in Rapid on my target, and most of them were in the ten ring! Per CMP rules, I counted the top ten which gave me a 99... and resulted in a silver! LOL

Our local club service rifle matches are mostly shot at 100yds on reduced targets and the backers are spread out. The 100 year old rifle matches are shot at 200yds. Ive only shot 300 and 500yd matches a few times with my Garand-the backers are close and someone always crossfires. Watching the videos and going to the line with that many shooters looks

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Matches at Camp Perry (the Vintage, Springfield, Garand and Roosevelt) are all shot at 200 yards. The number boards are below the target and about 15 feet forward. When you're at your firing point, it appears directly under, but when looking from a angle... say a few points in either direction, they appear offset. The boards are either white with black numbers, or black with white numbers... which makes it a little easier to remain on target.

My first year (2012), I had no idea what I was doing. Madsenshooter said "Come shoot with me" and I did. I shot the Vintage match with my Krag (there was no Roosevelt back then)... and had no equipment - just my Krag, ammo and a very cheap spotting scope... not even a sling or mat! Then, he suggested the Garand match too, so I borrowed my dad's Garand and showed up the next day. Bob was squadded with someone else, so I squadded with a guy who clearly didn't care to help me. He didn't tell me where my shots were hitting, just kept my score and didn't say a word. He didn't even let me use his mat, so I just layed on the wet grass and dirt. I barely broke 120, LOL. I also fell in LOVE with it!!! I purchased a scope, a mat, eventually a coat, the whole shebang... and I've shot every year since. I now shoot all four matches and have several rifles to shoot too. My son started shooting with me 4 years ago, and he's been bit by the Camp Perry bug too!

Trust me - you'll do great and love it too! You don't have to worry about scoring a medal (some do... some obsess about it), just shoot and have fun. Medals will come eventually (or at least, that's what I keep telling myself, LOL). :D