Camp Perry 2020

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Camp Perry 2020

Post by psteinmayer »

Well... I just registered for this year's National Matches at Camp Perry. Something interesting to note... It seems that they may be shooting Springfield, Vintage, Modern Military and the Garand Match all together. For each of those matches, you can request squadding from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon on either Viale or Rodriguez. I can only assume that they are combining the squadding to allow more flexibility in competitors schedules.

Anyway, for anyone interested in shooting with my son and I, we're registered for the following:
* Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Match (shooting a Krag of course) - Friday July 31st, 7.00 Am on Viale
* National John C Garand Rifle Match - Saturday August 1st AM on Viale
* National Vintage Rifle Match - Saturday August 1st PM on Viale
* National Springfield Rifle Match - Sunday August 2nd AM on Viale

We're also planning on shooting the Vintage Sniper Match on Monday (We've been invited to shoot with some friends for this)

As usual, I'll host a dinner on Thursday evening before the Roosevelt Match at Dock's! All are invited... even if you're not planning on shooting in the TR Match.

If anyone wants to join us for the matches, please let me know. I'm counting on YOU Culpeper!!! I'm hoping a few others come this year too.

Culpeper

Re: Camp Perry 2020

Post by Culpeper »

Here are the rule books.

https://thecmp.org/2020-cmp-competition-rulebooks-are-now-official/

https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Could you explain the course of fire for the matches? I understand the Roosevelt match is for Krags or 03s. Ive shot local JCG matches so I get those. Iam not familiar with the Vintage Military or Springfield Matches

Griff
Garand, Krag, Springfield, Vintage and Modern Military are all shot at 200 yards using the same course of fire. Thus you will see different rifles on the line together. Squading will be done on the line.
Read over that link to the rule book and feel free to ask questions. It can be a bit intimidating but really its pretty laid back.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Could you explain the course of fire for the matches? I understand the Roosevelt match is for Krags or 03s. Ive shot local JCG matches so I get those. Iam not familiar with the Vintage Military or Springfield Matches

Griff
Garand, Krag, Springfield, Vintage and Modern Military are all shot at 200 yards using the same course of fire. Thus you will see different rifles on the line together. Squading will be done on the line.
Read over that link to the rule book and feel free to ask questions. It can be a bit intimidating but really its pretty laid back.
Vic

Thanks for a bit of explanation-it is a bit confusing. I was looking for a little insight from people that have been there. I enjoy our local matches and am fairly competitive at them but I dont really have any illusions of competing on that level. I actually did read the rules before I posted-and fully expected that would be the answer I got. I thought the rules were a bit confusing and dont understand the process of squading or the Camp Perry experience.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi Griff,

Squadding is requested when you register, in that you'll enter your prefered squadding (i.e. Saturday AM Viale Range, Sunday PM Rodriguez Range, etc.). When you show up to the firing line on the day of the match, you'll check in and receive your actual squadding and firing position. Usually, it's broken up into 4 relays. Usually, relays 1-4 are AM, and 5-8 are PM. Relays 1 & 2 will shoot first while relays 3 & 4 will go to the pits. Then, after 1 & 2 shoot, they will go to the pits and 3 & 4 will go to the firing line to shoot. Then it repeats for the afternoon squadding. So... when you check in, you'll receive a squadding slip with your firing point and number, such as firing point 72, relay 2. After you shoot once, it'll all be really easy to understand. If you show up and shoot with my group, there will be plenty of people to give you a hand!

Now the course of fire... I shoot local matches and they are slightly different than the CoF at Perry. Here's how it works at Perry: You'll get called with equipment to the line, and have just a couple minutes to set up and prepare to shoot. You don't really have to worry about scopes or scoring because the shooter opposite you (if you shoot 2, then shooter 1) will score you. You don't score yourself! You'll get 2 minutes to prep, and this is where you get settled into position and maybe take a few dry-fire shots. You'll then shoot 5 sighters (in any position) and ten shots for score from the prone position, all in a 15 minute time limit. Next, you'll get a three minute prep period, and then it's rapid fire - 10 shots in 80 seconds with one reload. Finally, you'll get 2 minutes to prep, and the final course is ten shots standing in a ten minute time limit. It feels pretty rushed, but remember, it's rushed for everyone... and it really is a lot of fun!!!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Oh, I forgot to mention... The Roosevelt Match has just one squadding, which is Friday morning (the 31st) on the Viale Range.

I DO hope you join us Griff.

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Oh, I forgot to mention... The Roosevelt Match has just one squadding, which is Friday morning (the 31st) on the Viale Range.

Thanks for some of the clarification and offer to join you. I would love to give it a whirl but at this point I dont know that Iam ready for that kind of competition

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Holy crap!!! Watched some YouTube videos of the vintage rifle/sniper matches at Camp Perry how the heck do you keep your target straight and not crossfire ??

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Thanks for some of the clarification and offer to join you. I would love to give it a whirl but at this point I dont know that Iam ready for that kind of competition

The competition is not much different than other matches, just more of it and you are enjoying it at the greatest shooting venue on earth. Really, if you've competed before you can handle the Nationals. Also, you can sect your shooting partner.
Vic

NRA Benefactor Member

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Holy crap!!! Watched some YouTube videos of the vintage rifle/sniper matches at Camp Perry how the heck do you keep your target straight and not crossfire ??

LOL! ;D I haven't crossed on the vintage sniper or Games but I have on other matches. It's kinda like "Earning Your Wings."
There's a sequence of events like natural point of aim, preparatory breathing sequence, identifying your target board number that are important in firing the shot.

Vic

NRA Benefactor Member