Interesting Ammo

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Re: Interesting Ammo

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a lovely cartridge display.

Build a better 'mouse trap' and your competitors will build a supposedly even better one!

I like the attached photo. It shows a couple of early Rubin cartridges, rimless and rimmed, that both the British and U.S. bought in experimental quantities and studied in the late 1880's.
The early Rubin cartridges evolved into the 7.5X55mm Swiss, the .303 British and .30-40 U.S. cartridges, (and probably a few others).

Dang! How would events have unfolded if the U.S. Army had adopted the Schmidt-Rubin rifle? We copied some of their cartridge ideas and their bayonet for the Krag!
Attachments
experimental Rubin cartridges.jpg
experimental Rubin cartridges.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 796 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

If the US had adopted the Schmidt-Rubin instead of the Krag, it would have remained in service an even shorter time. It may have been satisfactory in Switzerland, but imagine trying to keep one operating in the Philippines, Cuba or chasing Pancho Villa, etc., in the American southwest. Mud & caliche dust would have the thing gummed up in short order.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

#11 is not a .375 H&H. That is a longer & bottlenecked cartridge. What you show is probably a .375 H&H case shortened and expanded, probably made into a .458 Winchester Magnum.

#12 is another wildcat made from .348 Winchester brass made by Remington. It is probably the sharp-shoulder version of the .450 Alaskan, made to function in Winchester 71 actions or their Japanese-made equivalents.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I rather take my chances with a Schmidt-Rubin than a Winchester-Lee or Canadian Ross.

It would be very interesting to know how the Schmidt-Rubin would perform in a variety of environments.

It is not always balmy in Switzerland!

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Thanks again gentlemen!!!

Doubly, you know your stuff and I appreciate your input...I just listed the info located on the head stamp.

Yep, thought the same thing about the .375 HH with the exception of it being shortened to a .458 Win Mag.

BR your kind words and insightful knowledge are always welcome!

Fred C, a good friend had given me a nice portable German made metal lathe...wish I had your knowledge to put it to good use. Supposedly a friend of his had actually made a functioning semi-auto pistol with the thing!