Brass Warning! ...to Newbies

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Brass Warning! ...to Newbies

Post by Culpeper »

To all you newbies

Think about how much you are going to shoot on a semi regular basis before you buy any amount of brass. Does your corespondent truly have enough .30-40 brass to last several life times? Guilty. Yep. ...in spades. Geez, the drunk has worn off and I may have to liquidate the tunnel complex. What leads me to the this confession of the soul? It might be because of all the 5.56 brass I am finding in the various piles and tunnels in the complex. Sheesh. I think I have around six thousand cases of 5.56 brass to roll through and get loaded.

Eek!!!!

Either I need to step up my game in AR's to the Jerry Michulek level or I severely over-bought brass. ...And I will have upwards to three thousand piece of brass to clean, deprime, clean, prime, load, on top of about four thousand pieces on deck in the line up. Holy Crapski, I thought it would be easy. It is really but man does it make your brain go numb after two coffee cans through the tumbler. I figured out, using cipherin' I learnt in sixth grade, that I have only loaded a thousand cases and I have another six thousand or so to go.

It gets worst, oh, newbies. I found a few hundred 45 ACP pieces I forgot I bought eighteen years ago and then I found the three bags of new Win brass from a few years ago. Dang.

Spreadsheets are your friends if you use them correctly.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Re: Brass Warning! ...to Newbies

Post by FredC »

I thought you were going to give us a warning about brass with hidden defects. Did not know you could drown in too much brass. :-)
Might be good to share so the brass manufacturers can catch up.

I know you can step into a bin of corn and sink in and suffocate. So be careful with that brass and get that spread sheet going.

On those 223 you may want to look at some high volume equipment from Dillon.

Culpeper

Re: Brass Warning! ...to Newbies

Post by Culpeper »

It's more of a keep-track-of-yer-stuff warning. Heck I found another two thousand 7.62x51 cases that I did not have on the spreadsheet. I just need to wade through all of the empty brass that I squirreled away. You may be on to something about the Dillon. It is on the budget for late 2023 and can not be pushed to the left. Until then the Corbin and Frankford presses are my go to for reloading.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio