.30-40 Remington-Lee Outing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

.30-40 Remington-Lee Outing

Post by butlersrangers »

Yesterday, I did an initial 'sight-in' of a sportered model 1899 Remington-Lee rifle, in .30-40 caliber.

I shot 10 rounds of fresh W-W brass loaded with 36 grains of IMR-3031, 152 grain M-2 projectiles, and W-W large rifle primers. The reloads had a 3.135" OAL.

The 'controls' on the old Weaver model 440 scope are very crude. It took me 5 shots, a couple of 'bore-sightings', and some drastic fiddling with adjustments to get the rig on target at 50 yards.

With my last five rounds, I had a nice four shot group going, but the fifth shot printed 3 inches high! (FWIW: It did seem like a very proper shot with good trigger squeeze, sight picture and follow-through).

Another range session should tell much. It is possible the 'innards' of the antique Weaver shifted a bit during the 5 shot sequence. The scope does have a goofy adjustment screw & lock-nut system.

I may have to go to a clearer optic with better controls, but I do like the classic 1930's look of the old Weaver on the sportered Remington-Lee.

This is the first time I have shot a .30-40 Remington-Lee. It was interesting and different from a Krag.
The Remington's trigger-pull is single-stage and heavier.
I am toying with the idea of beveling the front edge of the large Button on the 'custom' Safety. It is annoying and in the way of the trigger finger at present.
Attachments
IMG_9933.JPG
IMG_9933.JPG (424.39 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_9174.JPG
IMG_9174.JPG (457.96 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_9937.JPG
IMG_9937.JPG (349.04 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

King carp

Re: .30-40 Remington-Lee Outing

Post by King carp »

Hi Charles: That is impressive shooting for a rifle of that era. Too bad about the one high hit. What caliber is the other rifle in the picture sitting on the rest. Is it 30-40 also? Maybe its the angle of the picture but it looks like a much heavier barrel. Also is the small knob on the magazine gate an add on or something from the factory? Thanks and take care.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

King carp wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:30 pm. . . What caliber is the other rifle in the picture sitting on the rest. Is it 30-40 also? Maybe its the angle of the picture but it looks like a much heavier barrel. Also is the small knob on the magazine gate an add on or something from the factory? . . .
Can you say "Dansk"? :roll:

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

King Carp, Parashooter is pointing you in the correct direction.

It is a Danish Artillery carbine in 8X58mm (Rimmed Danish) caliber. The 'Knob' is the release for the front-pivoting magazine-gate.
Someone lopped off part of the carbine's forearm. The forearm should extend almost to the front-sight and be anchored by a front barrel-band with stacking-swivel.
The 'heavy appearance' is because the Danish barrel is surrounded with a sheet metal jacket.
(In fact, this Danish Krag started life in 1896, as an Infantry rifle, and was arsenal converted to an Artillery carbine around 1924).

If you view yesterday's thread under 'European Krags', you can read my writeup, "First Danish Range Outing".
Attachments
IMG_9285.JPG
IMG_9285.JPG (532.72 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
IMG_9287.JPG
IMG_9287.JPG (571.79 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I have only seen photos of the Danish and other Krags, maybe true of many others. So inquiring minds want to know, are they as smooth as the US Krag?

King carp

Post by King carp »

Thanks. As i said in an earlier post i learn a lot from you guys. I was not familar with the Danish version of the Krag. Its a neat looking carbine. That barrel jacket makes it look like it could be in 45-70 caliber!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Handguards! Who needs stinking handguards? ..... when you have a barrel-jacket!

I would say my Danish Krag bolt, (a sample of one), is not as smooth as my U.S. Krag rifles and carbines.
One reason is the difference in metal finishes, with the U.S. Krag having a polished bolt sliding on a casehardened receiver.
My Danish Krag seems to have a stickier arsenal 'refinish' on its parts.
A second reason is the Danish action uses an ejector that is a simple 'flat-spring', which puts a slight 'drag' on the bolt-body during most of its cycle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I went to the Michigan Antique Arms Show on Saturday.
I didn't see any gun bargains, but I did pick up a Weaver K-3 scope (2 1/2 power) with duplex crosshairs.
The 1" scope appeared to be in 'like new' condition and was only $50. I had an extra Weaver 1" side-mount that came on my Remington-Lee.

I mounted and 'bore-sighted' it today on the Remington-Lee for a future Range Session.
It doesn't look too clumsy or top-heavy on the 'sporter' and is much brighter than the model 440 Weaver, that I used last week.
The mount does position the scope slightly to the right of the centerline of the bore. It points very well with a generous eye-relief.

Now, I have two choices with an easy scope change.
Attachments
IMG_9939.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG (262.13 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Looks good, I really like the old weavers

FredC

Post by FredC »

That K3 looks like a modern scope with the elevation and windage turret. It should work well.
My dad's J 2.5 has a 3/4' tube and adjusters that look more like your 440. I had already mentioned taking it apart and cleaning the lenses. It is fairly bright, no problems hunting with it. A few years ago I shot a coyote from the back porch of the shop with it mounted on my mother's model 67 Winchester. Remember when it was OK to give an eight year a old gun.
Anyway if you ever find a J2.5 cheap it could ride on one of your rifles and look the part.