Powder??? Where's all the powder?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Powder??? Where's all the powder?

Post by psteinmayer »

I started gearing up to load for this summer's matches and found myself woefully short on powder supplies. I went to a few stores that normally ALWAYS have what I need, and they were out! So today, I looked online and the only places that have powder in stock only accept Zelle, Bitcoin or other alternative means of payment. WTF??? Is this even safe? I was sitting there... credit card in hand, and I can't find any place that claims to have powder in stock that will accept credit cards! And yes, I found three different online suppliers, all accepting only Zelle, Bitcoin, CashApp and PayPal (although per PayPal policy, your account will be subject to cancellation if you use it for this).

Thoughts on these types of places??? The web sites look legitimate enough... but I'm not sure I trust using Zelle... and I don't have any Bitcoins to spend!

Does anyone know where an honest guy can get some powder??? (I need H4895 the most, along with IMR 4350 and IMR 4064... in case anyone has some they can part with)

Parashooter

Re: Powder??? Where's all the powder?

Post by Parashooter »

Might try Graf's. AA4350 appears to be in stock. Fees seem excessive unless you order several pounds.

Accurate 4350 Smokeless Powder 1 Pound - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ductId/225
Item #: ACC43501
Price: $34.99
Shipping: One flat fee of $12.95 per online order.
Exclusions apply. Click for details.
$23.50 hazardous materials fee applies.
Click for details.
Availability: In Stock
Quantity Limit: Only 10 ACC43501 allowed per customer. Duplicates will be canceled.
MPN: A43501

Product Information

Accurate 4350 is a short cut, single-base, extruded rifle powder in the extremely popular 4350 burn range. A highly versatile powder, 4350 can be used in a wide range of cartridges from the popular 243 Win to the 338 Win Mag with excellent results. Accurate 4350® is an exceptional choice for the 6mm Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem and 300 WSM. This short cut extruded powder meters accurately, resulting in excellent shot-to-shot consistency. Made in Canada.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Most of those places are scams and I wouldn't take the risk, I know for a fact optics and ammo is a scam website, although it comes up high on the Google search, a guy at a local gun store here got scammed by that website, it is generally odd when a new site has powder, primers, and all the other stuff that the main stores can't get.

polska

Post by polska »

I think a lot has to do with what part of the country you live in. I'm in R.I. on the Ct. border and have found powder ( imr 4350 and H4350) in both states with no problem.
Prices are anywhere from $34.99 to $44.99 depending which stores. In R.I. mostly LGS and in Ct. I go to a store called Runnings.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Polska... I'm in the midwest... Detroit Michigan area to be exact.

Zac... I figured those sites were a scam... and I wasn't going to risk that happening!

Para... I'll try the AA 4350. I only need it for my Krag ammo... I use H4895 in everything else except 7.7x58mm Arisaka, which is what I use the 4064 in.

I'm going to keep my eyes open, and click a couple Notify Me tabs on the normal sites like Midway and Graf. I may be taking a drive to Toledo... as I hear there's a shop there that has powder.

King carp

Post by King carp »

I am in illinois and some reloading supplies are starting to trickle in to the cabelas and bass pro stores (both owned by the same entity). The prices are very high. The dicks sporting goods store by me no longer carries firearms. The few local gun shops do not carry reloading components. A sad state of affairs for sure. When things show up here they sell fast even at the high prices asked for them. I would call ahead before traveling for supplies. After the (not so) great primer shortage of the 1980's l always tried to keep a good supply of components in stock. It is paying off now. Take care.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I would imagine the various powders with the same numbers, but different manufacture (IMR, H, and AA), cannot be assumed to be the same.
To be safe with a change of propellant manufacturer will require testing and 'working up' from a safe starting load.

"Oh Bother"!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Keep an eye on Powder Valley. Check frequently during the day and click the in stock box for powder or primers. They do not play favorites and do not take back orders. They will sell to whoever clicks the buttons fastest. Prices are high with Haz Mat added but I have gotten a couple orders of stuff I wanted recently.

Good luck Paul!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Thanks very much everyone!

FWIW, I am going to avoid those "Alternative Payment Method" places like COVID (the NEW Plague)!

I'll keep looking... and I'm going to check Powder Valley often. I also got a line on some powder in Fenton (Thanks Chuck).

Olpeddler

Post by Olpeddler »

Paul, Have you ever been to GUNS GALORE located in Fenton, Michigan which is about an hour northwest of the Detroit Area? In normal times they have just about everything a competitive shooter might need. Two downsides: They are pricey and the help is snarly.