Quiet rimfire ammo

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
FredC

Quiet rimfire ammo

Post by FredC »

I think in another thread I mentioned buying a box of 100 CB caps made by CCI. They were very good for dispatching animals close up and getting rid of pests when neighbors were close by. Almost used them all up and have not seen CB caps for sale since then.
This just popped up in an add today: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1669663
They are way over priced , but the last box almost lasted a life time, so I went ahead and ordered a couple of boxes. I am not sure if the will cycle in a semi automatic. But they should be good the same thing I used the CB caps for.
I will make a report later.
Figured others may need them for the same purpose.

A few months ago i was sitting next to a hay bale waiting for pigs and had an armadillos cross close enough I tried to kick one over the cliff. Sure would have been nice have had some of these in a hand gun so as not to make much noise and get rid of the critters.

Well posting this made me do some research. CCI does have CB caps in stock both short and long. as well as the quiet long rifle. All 3 have a velocity of 710 FPS.
Looks like you can buy direct from CCI even cheaper than the SG price. https://www.cci-ammunition.com/pest_con ... specialty/

I did click on the long rifle ad and it states that it may not cycle some semi-automatic actions. Sounds like it will some and not others.

polska

Re: Quiet rimfire ammo

Post by polska »

I use the CCI .22LR quiets in my backyard all the time. Out of CZ452 trainer and my Springfield M22 they make less noise than my .177 springer air rifle. I use them at 50yds for offhand practice and they group quite good. My LGS has a lot of them at $45 a brick. Not cheap but I guess average for these times.
Never tried in a semi but I would guess they will not function.
They are still loud coming out of a 6" revolver.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Your observation corresponds to my memory. When I had a 22 revolver the short CB caps did make a little noise. Nowhere near what a Stinger would have made. In a rifle the only noise the short CB caps made was the firing pin hitting the case, exactly the same noise as dry firing. So really the comparison to an air rifle is a little misleading, they are considerably quieter. Just be careful with thinking they are harmless they are not, the bullet will go though a 1 inch thick board or cripple a stray dog you thought you were just going to scare away. I learned that the hard way.

May try to buy a Ruger Mark IV for close in quiet work. 22 barrels are no longer available for my Bond Snake Slayer.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I have a number of integrally suppressed firearms I have had made by Todd Breuckman of TBA Suppressors in Ashland, VA. He integrally suppressed the barrel of my CZ 452 which makes no noise with CCI SV. Full power and quiet enough that I can safely dispatch crop damaging varmints in my yard without the neighbors knowing. He also suppresses Ruger Mark IVs. He did a MK III for me years ago and it is great also, just not a s quiet as the CZ bolt action. Easy on the ears and fun to shoot! Might be good alternatives instead of using the lower power rounds. Cost a little more and the stupid wait time but well worth it. Just an alternative!

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Be careful with any of that quiet stuff. One friend had one stick in the barrel of a nice old boy's rifle. Didn't notice it, shot again and ringed the bore. Another friend shot that Aguila quiet stuff. One shot and the nose of the bullet just stuck out of the muzzle of his Rem. 513. Luckily, someone saw it and warned him. Make sure you see the hits.

FredC

Post by FredC »

So many ways to skin a cat. Have a couple friends that went the high power air gun route. I think that cost them a bunch of money and the need to maintain some high pressure air sources. I have a suspicion that those high power large bore air guns make a lot of noise.
I probably paid about double of what Stingers ($2.39) cost back in 1979 for that first box of short CB caps. Lets say $4.78 for 100 rounds and I still have a few left. Today you can buy 100 rounds of the long rifle CB caps for $12.00 plus shipping. For 40 years worth of pest control, that is quite the bargain. Do have to keep the ammo separate but that has not been a problem till now.
I remember having a pig trap full of little pigs once. I let an employee kill them and take them home for processing. We did use the CB caps so as to not stir them up too much as we dispatched them. He killed 2 or 3 then cleaned them and iced them down, rinse and repeat till they were all gone except for the one that escaped.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Very limited test. I fired 2 rounds of the quiet 22 Long rifle ammo in the 10-22. It did not cycle the action. Maybe in another rifle or pistol with a light bolt. It did try to cycle the action and the case was partially ejected. I think that gas escaping as the bolt opens or tries to open makes a little bit of noise, so it was not as quiet as I expected. Pulling the bolt the rest of the way back did eject the round and letting go loaded the next round with no other hitches.

One bullet fired from the old model 67 Winchester and it was indeed very quiet. Just enough sound that I did not hear the firing pin hit the primer like the CCI CB cap. I would call it less noise than a typical pellet gun or BB gun. The bullet made did not expand hitting an insecticide bottle full of water. Photo shows a side be side photo of an identical bottle hit with a standard hollow point (both from the exit side). I am fairly certain the quiet bullet would have split as intended if the bottle had been filled with wet sand.

Looks like a winner for urban pest control and dispatching a trap full of pigs without stirring them up so bad they are hard to hit.

Further test might be for accuracy at 100 feet and effectiveness in dispatching small vermin. I need to do a more permanent fix to my live trap as a couple of the coons and that one armadillo really damaged it.

A note on humane dispatch of critters in a trap if you live in the city limits. A San Antonio parks employee at the municipal golf course was fired several years ago for killing a pig in a trap with a spear. Shooting it between the eyes with a quiet 22 would probably have been illegal. I guess the politically correct and legal way to dispatch a pest in a trap would be to haul it to the vet for euthanasia.
Attachments
CCIQuiet22.jpg
CCIQuiet22.jpg (547.34 KiB) Viewed 987 times