Using 7.62 Russian Brass in Dane

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Using 7.62 Russian Brass in Dane

Post by butlersrangers »

I know some of our members use 7.62X54mmR (Russian) Brass to make cartridge cases for the 8X58mmR Danish Krag.
The Russian case is not only short overall, but is also smaller in diameter in the case head and body, than the Danish cartridge

Are these cases only a one-shot deal and then scrap? .... Or do they holdup for a number of safe loadings?

I have a small quantity of Norma and PPU 7.62X54mmR Brass in my 'odds & sods'. I've expanded the case necks to hold .323 cal. - 196 grain projectiles.
I've loaded the cases with 38 grains of IMR-3031, with the 8mm bullets seated for an OAL of 2.995". (The rounds feed and function through my Danish Krag action).

I will be testing these loads this week, weather permitting. I'm just curious about the longevity of this improvised brass, based on the experience of other KCA members.

Parashooter

Re: Using 7.62 Russian Brass in Dane

Post by Parashooter »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:11 am. . . Are these cases only a one-shot deal and then scrap? .... Or do they holdup for a number of safe loadings? . . . I'm just curious about the longevity of this improvised brass, based on the experience of other KCA members.
The nominal difference in base diameter is only about .013". Shouldn't be a problem unless subjected to higher pressures than normal. Sketch below attempts to explain -
BaseExp3.gif
BaseExp3.gif (29.6 KiB) Viewed 720 times

butlersrangers

Re: Using 7.62 Russian Brass in Dane

Post by butlersrangers »

Thank you 'Parashooter' for your well thought-out and nicely illustrated answer!