First Time Krag Shooter

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
MosbyRidge

First Time Krag Shooter

Post by MosbyRidge »

This rifle was a ton of fun to shoot! Shot 50 rounds of reduced charged loads. Very little kick, but still ended up with a couple bruises. Well worth it.

No group pictures yet, as I'd just be sharing what I can do, not what the rifle can do. I was able to get about 4 inch 5 shot strings standing from 50 yards. I tried prone, kneeling, sitting, and cant seem to get comfortable or manage a good cheek weld. If anyone has information or advice on shooting / marksmanship I'm all ears!

The gun ran great. Such a smooth action. Great trigger pull to me, but I don't have a ton of perspective. The two issues I had were that spitzers didn't feed the best (I expected this as it was designed for round nosed projectiles) and that with my light projectiles I'm shooting high. On the lowest elevation setting I seem to hitting nearly a foot high at 50 yards which I do understand is close. Any advice on how to proceed with the sights? I'd love to not have to hold under the target. Also, who in the world can use that peep sight as is? It's so small I can't make out the target. Am I supposed to look to the side of the target, memorize where it is and then place the front post over it? There may be a drill bit in its future.

Thank you for reading and again for all of the help you guys have been!
20220608_125257.jpg
20220608_125257.jpg (998.1 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
20220608_123855.jpg
20220608_123855.jpg (998.05 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

butlersrangers

Re: First Time Krag Shooter

Post by butlersrangers »

Just a wild guess:
Look along the top of your barrel and see if it is pressing against the inside (top) of the barrel-band (or is there is a little sliver of daylight). The barrel should lay in the bottom of the stock barrel-channel.

If the rear trigger-guard screw is 'overly' tightened, it can lever the barrel upward, losing contact with the forearm. This can have an effect on barrel 'harmonics' and the angle at which projectiles leave the rifle. This might cause a rifle to shoot high.

I 'set up' all my Krag rifles and carbines the same way.
I loosen both guard screws, hold the Krag level, and give it a few shakes. This lets the barrel & action settle into the wood bedding.

I make sure the handguard has a slight space between its front edge and the rear edge of the barrel-band.
I strongly grip the action and stock together with my left hand, while I tighten the front-guard screw 'very firm', with my right hand.

I then tighten the rear guard-screw, until it is just snug. I visually check to see that the bottom of the barrel is still bottomed in the stock channel.

This assembly method is worth a try.

I often find, at 50 yards, Krag model 1901 and model 1902 sights have adequate adjustment to be on target.
If a rifle prints very high with a load at 50 or 100 yards, I just use two bullseyes, (one above the other), and aim at 6 O'clock on the lower bull.
If spaced properly the shots strike the upper bull. (I make a note on the saved target of the rifle/load/ and compensated point-of-aim).

BTW - The aperture hole on 'Sgt. Peep' is too small for most of humanity. I don't use the peep. KCA members, who do use it, generally increase the size of the hole.

p.s. Your metal and wood turned out quite nice!
A light shooting-jacket with a shoulder pad and elbow pads, makes a shooting session more pleasant. A sweatshirt with a pad works good too.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is no fun to get pounded by recoil or a stiff neck from a poor 'cheek weld', during a lengthy Range Session.

I have a 'strap-on' butt-pad that gets used with light carbines to tame rearward momentum.

I have a 'slip-on' cheek-piece kit to use on a scoped krag and scoped 1903 Springfield. Both rifles lack adequate cheek-support, when using a scope.

Also, some Krags are pretty much on target at 50 yards with a 100-yard sight setting.
Attachments
drama free-6.jpg
drama free-6.jpg (283.24 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
a_cheek_weld-1.jpg
a_cheek_weld-1.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
drama free-8.jpg
drama free-8.jpg (188.7 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I shoot my 1898 regularly in vintage rifle matches... including every year at Camp Parry in the National Rifle Matches! It's absolutely my favorite rifle to shoot!!! I load the standard (as close to original as possible) 220 gr RN/40 grains of 4350 loading, and although it does "kick" some, it's never something I can't handle. I also wear a shooting coat which pads the recoil well. In Prone, a sling (I use a Turner 1907 sling, which is period correct for early 19th century) can make all the difference too! As for the Sgt. Peep on the 1902 sight, it's ridiculously small at 0.04 diameter. I opened mine up to 0.10 diameter, but this blew out the top of the plate, so I built it up with JB weld to form a nice substantial surface for the peep. It made all the difference in sight picture and acquisition... especially in a rapid-fire relay.

As for the ammo, some Krags feed spitzer bullets ok, while others will barely feed them at all. Krags are almost human in regards to the food they like... and it's very diverse too! Some like lighter bullets, while other's prefer the 220's. If you reload, I advise you to always crimp your spitzer bullets. Mine will "telescope" into the case during feeding if I don't crimp. RN bullets don't usually have this problem.

Congratulations on the Krag and Happy Shooting!

Myron

Post by Myron »

psteinmayer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:00 am I load the standard (as close to original as possible) 220 gr RN/40 grains of 4350 loading,
So, with this load do the yardage markings on the rear sight work out?
I am not going to shoot anything over a mile away (I can't see that far), but just curious.
And with iron sights, I don't think I could see a big red barn that far.

Whig

Post by Whig »

In my experience, the sight markings are a good start but you need to shoot your rifle and find exactly where your sight needs to be set for different target distances. Every Krag will be a little different with different barrel conditions, harmonics, sights and loads used. Keep a log book for each target and you should be good to go after some good shooting at the range! I love the Model 1901 rear sight with the peep holes on that slide. I do best using that on my Krags I shoot for accuracy. At best, I have gotten about 1 1/2 MOA with my reloads. I can regularly get 2 MOA with very few fliers. Some people get better. These old war horses are great rifles to shoot.

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

I followed the screw tightening procedure by butlersrangers and I'm sure that my tightening was at least part of the problem. I could hear and feel it creak as I released pressure. I may have had it bent like a banana. I forget that both wood and steel give a lot more than I think. I opened the peep from .040 to .055 and it is a WORLD of difference. Almost feels like looking through a scope. I can see the target and the front post now.

I did not crimp this time but I will look for this telescoping.

I will report back with the changes I made.

Thank you!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I did misstate things a bit in my first post on this thread.

It is not possible to see 'daylight' between the top of the barrel and the rear barrel-band.
The radius of the barrel and inside contour of the band just mate too close.
(A bit of light is visible between the top of the barrel and front band on Krag rifles).

With carbine and cut-down rifle stocks, the barrel-band can be moved or loosened to check if the barrel is resting on wood.
It is probably wise to free the inside of the band of roughness and burrs that might bind the barrel as it expands and lengthens during firing.
A hidden dab of graphite-paste or silicon grease, between barrel & band, might help smooth the stretching from heat expansion.

It would be interesting to hear how other KCA members 'set-up' their Krag rifles for target shooting.

p.s. I have never had to trouble with crimping projectiles, in the .30-40. That long case-neck holds a bullet pretty firmly.
Different makes of Dies and Bullets, I suppose, could give different tolerances.

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

I went out shooting again today and at 300 yards I had to hold about 2 feet under on the 100 yard setting. Surely something is out of wack. From the front of the wood there is gap under the barrel, but the barrel is supported on the sides. Really not sure where to start with this one. Other than a taller front post.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Take a burning candle and 'soot' the bottom of the front of the action and bottom of the receiver-ring. The soot will mark wood 'high spots', that may be holding front of action from fully seating.

Also, take a good look at the barrel 'crown' for obvious damage to rifling at the muzzle. The crown radius should be 'square' with the bore and the barrel not cut at a slant.