Annealing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
bote

Annealing

Post by bote »

I recently started annealing cases with the Ballistic Recreations setup that uses a Lee precision melter and potassium salts. The entire setup cost less than $150 and it's simple to use and consistent. I would have never considered annealing but my scoring partner at Talledega told me about it and I thought I'd give it a try. The kit comes with a case holder made to fit the Lee melter, a thermocouple/temp gage and a jar of potassium salts.

FredC

Re: Annealing

Post by FredC »

Thanks for the info. I had tried using molten lead setting the heat with a thermometer. Then coated the case necks with oil before dipping them in the molten lead. The lead coated the case necks sometimes and made a mess.
I assume the potassium salts cause no corrosion or embrittlement if you clean them quickly?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

There is a much simpler way to anneal. I just use the trimming case holder to hold them in my drill, and then use a small butane torch to heat the necks to the shoulder while they spin. As soon as the brass changes color to just past the shoulder, drop them into a pan and let them cool. Been doing it this way for years, and I've got more than 20 reloads on some of my brass!

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

I use map gas just because it heats it up faster .... Another thing I do is to just do neck recizing how I do this is using ideal Lyman 310 30-40 krag neck recizer and use a adapter so I can use it in my RCBS reloading press ... Really the only time I have had trouble is using someone else's used brass ... Some brass I have reloaded hundreds of time ... Just be good to your brass ...

FredC

Post by FredC »

I tried matching the colors on new factory annealed cases and found it difficult. I took a color blindness test and the result labeled me "extreme deutan" the report said that I see peanut butter as green and I said "Yeah, isn't green" also said I see green light as white, always wondered why they were called green lights. My brother took a color blindness test when he was in grade school and he was extremely color blind turns out I am worse than him, just did not know it.
So the colors the rest of you see when annealing may not be what I see.
A fast fool proof way to anneal case necks is welcome to me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Real Men' anneal by touch!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Too funny!

I guess I could ask you to make a youtube video showing me how.

craigster

Post by craigster »

I use map gas just because it heats it up faster .... Another thing I do is to just do neck recizing how I do this is using ideal Lyman 310 30-40 krag neck recizer and use a adapter so I can use it in my RCBS reloading press ... Really the only time I have had trouble is using someone else's used brass ... Some brass I have reloaded hundreds of time ... Just be good to your brass ...

Hundreds ? Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

'Real Men' anneal by touch!

Like this -

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You da Man Para!!!