Krag 30/40 and accuracy vs. chamber/throat

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
FredC

Re: Krag 30/40 and accuracy vs. chamber/throat

Post by FredC »

Just talked to a technician at Criterion and it appears that Criterion barrels are short chambered with the expectation final fitting will be done by a gunsmith with a reamer. Apparently Parashooter's idea is just that, a novel and clever idea. I passed the info on to the tech from this thread. Who knows what the end result will be.

Giving royalties to Parashooter may not be possible as that might raise the price of Criterion barrels if his idea gets traction. If this does get adopted a hearty "THANK YOU" will be in order.

reiver

Post by reiver »

Interesting Fred...
I am not going that route as this barrel is excellent with the extended COAL....
Well, had a great steel shooting range day...the Krag will, as Rob Ski says, 'shoot the lights out'... he must have a lot of candles.
The only issue now is figuring scope settings as the old Weaver 29 has very positive lock adjustment but no markings at all...I have to remember my 100 yard zero and count up/down...the windage I can deal with by offset.
Regardless I have it figured out.
I had slight movement in the scope base...the screw head relief was so large I couldn't find proper 'tight' screws that would fill the space so tried an up/down slight offset you can see but that didn't work...those two steel pins did tho. That side plate is thick enough to give the pins a solid purchase.
I have found the COAL sweet spot of 3.1225... I backed off a bit from my latest 'try' and found this works well with all bullet weights. The 180 Gn spitzer flat base especially...that gives consistent 1 " MOA.
Thru in a pic of the old German base...no idea of its age but suspect civilian type WW2 era pre/post but there abouts.
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG (309 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That 180 grain 'flat base' spitzer sounds like a winner!

With a slightly off-set scope, some shooters adjust the windage-knob so that 'point of aim' remains parallel to 'the line of the bore', at all distances.
'Kentucky Aiming' at 9 o'clock, about 1 to 2 inches to the left of the 'X-ring', may keep the shots well centered in the target 'bull' at 50, 100, 200 yards and further.
Only elevation needs correction as the shooting distance changes.

With an off-set scope, if the cross-hairs are adjusted so that point of aim and point of impact agree at 100 yards, the line of sight and line of bore are at an angle that converges at just 100 yards. At other distances, aim and shot impact will not agree. As range increases, the deviation increases.

reiver

Post by reiver »

I'll try that technique as it makes great sense.
I also have an offset scope on my Tp 97 WW2 Jap sniper in 6.5...interestingly they built the offset into the scope itself and you can see the slight curve in the vertical cross hair...some have looked thru that scope and thought it defective. It works very well tho.

Question on the Criterion headspace.... when I talked to Luke, at the CMP Custom shop, he said they will also test fire the rifle if you ask for that 'service' but you must forward the ammunition with the rifle. If they are leaving the final touches for a later gunsmith how would that work?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Criterion is leaving the 'finish reaming' to the barrel installer.

The CMP shop offers installation of Criterion barrels on Krag rifles and carbines, so they must do 'finish reaming' and check the head-space.

Other installers .... ?

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

For a definitive answer to the "short-chambered" question, see viewtopic.php?p=12240#p12240 (I had a feeling we'd covered this before.) Continue to page 3 of the thread for info on the Criterion throat.

reiver

Post by reiver »

Ah, missed that 'barrel installer' part... I was of the mindset of sending the rifle to them so was thinking in that frame of mind.

BTW, I am no longer considering that but think it a great option for a shot out Krag.