Ultra 5.56 Cartridge

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Ultra 5.56 Cartridge

Post by Culpeper »

The President has let the cat out of the bag about a new enhanced 5.56 cartridge. I know DARPA has many hush-hush projects but this is the best news since they developed the electric dog polisher. Imagine a bullet being pushed 13,500 to 16,000 feet per second. Think of the implications. You could shoot jack rabbits dead before the rabbit even thought about running. It must be a combination of a super secret powder with a super duper jacket alloy. Yeah. I can’t wait until the technology trickles down to other cartridges that would make the .22 long rifle as powerful as the current .50 BMG. Even the .30-40 would be a game changer.

HOLY CRAPSKI! :o Tech like that is unimaginable. I bet you could anchor a battle wagon off the Azores and drop a shell on a five ruble piece in an alley in Moscow.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... other-gun/

:D
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Re: Ultra 5.56 Cartridge

Post by FredC »

You brought up jack rabbits. Funny because I have a story about jack rabbits and ultra high velocity bullets. My dad had a friend that bought a 257 Weatherby when they first came out. My dad went out with him when the friend was trying it out. The friend decided to shoot a jack rabbit a couple hundred yards away. First shot no reaction from the rabbit and no observed bullet impact nearby. My dad used his spotting scope on the third try to locate the branch that was obviously deflecting the 87 grain bullet. No branch, my dad said the bullet was ack acking. Did not know what that was, he meant that it was disintegrating due to the extreme velocity. He saw a puff of blue smoke before the bullet reached the jack rabbit. Another test they did was to fire my dad's 06 with armor piercing rounds at a railroad rail. They backed up about 50 yards to allow the bullets to stabilize before striking the rail, the '06 made a 1/4 inch deep dent in the rail. The 257's slug disintegrated on impact but drove a hole through the rail that resembled a punch press hole. The ammo was getting some hyper velocity beyond the advertised 4000FPS. The barrel was shot out after 100 hundred rounds and had to be bored to 270 Weatherby. Apparently fun while it lasted. I have one of these loaded rounds from that original batch.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't believe 'Jobidden' has ever known WTF he was talking about.

I have been amazed, since I first saw him on TV in 1972, that anyone could stomach his blarney and self-enhancement, much less, vote for him!

He should have been relegated to selling aluminum siding, used cars, or encyclopedias, long ago!

"Liar, liar, pants on fire" ... no wonder he walks so 'guarded' ... his buns are scorched!

FredC

Post by FredC »

I did not read the linked article and thought some new experimental round and gun was in the works. Oh well.

Blowing a lung out reminds me of an odd hunting adventure. Spot lighted a coyote and shot it with an '06 150 grain hollow point match bullet. The coyote acted like he did not hear or feel the shot and walked over about 50 feet and was sniffing the ground like there was something to eat there. I shot at him again and got the expected reaction. Fell over dead. I walked up and looked to see what was going and on found a 3 foot long piece of intestine next to the coyote. Went back to where the coyote was when I shot him the first time and there was a 5 foot long piece of intestine there. I guess he did not know he was dead and was still looking for something to eat?

Mr. Pig in the photo was shot with the same style bullet. The bullet and bone fragments made it into the chest cavity and turned the contents into mush. The inside of the opposite chest wall was peppered with bullet and bone fragments, but nothing came close to exiting. Mr. Pig was dead before he hit the ground. (Mr. Pig is what the other pigs used to call him).

Maybe a 9 mm would blow out the lungs of a cotton tail. I doubt it would cause that in a coyote. In a perfect world none of these things would be used on human beans.
Attachments
mrpig3.JPG
mrpig3.JPG (228.92 KiB) Viewed 768 times