help !

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
kab37

help !

Post by kab37 »

Friends, is there any source where one could purchase 30-40 ammo ? For various reasons I cannot reload.I would love to fire my new (to me) Krag but it needs ammo to go bang !

- Thnx, Kab

King carp

Re: help !

Post by King carp »

Most of the large stores are stocking the most popular calibers. I am in the chicago area. When i have seen factory 30-40 it was about $45.00 for 20 rounds. You might try midway or midsouth reloading. Also you might try gunbroker. 30-40 is no longer as popular as it once was. It still makes a potent hunting round for most anything in the lower 48. I have found that reloading is the way to go with most of my shooting except for personal defence.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Did a search and these came up some are out of stock but others seem to have it
https://www.bing.com/search?q=30+40+kra ... b4bf851111

Whig

Post by Whig »

Many small gun stores have .30-40 Krag ammo on their shelves. I have seen many recently myself with some traveling. I try to stop and check out what's available even though I don't need any. It is often pricey but if you don't reload, you are at the whims of market demand cost. Check around, be patient, and save some bucks for when you do run across a few boxes. Good luck!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Kab, how much were you thinking you might need for the krag?

No matter the quantity you have you will still need to save your brass and reload whether it is one box or five. You would should make friends with a local gun guy who reloads. In the mean time. A 500 box of Sierra 220 round nose (RN) bullets takes up a volume of 3x3x4 inches and a brick of large rifle primers not much more. An eight pound jug of IMR 4350 is only a little larger than a gallon of milk. Buy your own 30-40 die set, too. You take the components to your new found friend and possibly use his press and bench and, Voilà, you are back in the game.

And when Winchester or Remington get around to making another run of ammo or brass buy it cheap (if possible) and stack it deep.

Captain Culpeper, late of the KCA Africa Corps
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio