What is this Ammo?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
kragkrazy

What is this Ammo?

Post by kragkrazy »

I acquired this ammo for my new (to me) half-Krag (I still need an original stock!)

Can you help me identify it? What is it worth? Can I shoot it?

ThanksImageImageImageImage

Suredan

Re: What is this Ammo?

Post by Suredan »

Appears to be 30-40 Krag ammo manufactured by Winchester Repeating Arms. Value is what a collector would pay for it (and it is highly collectible). You would potentially experience some misfires and split cases due to its age if you tried to use it. It looks like it was manufactured in 1930. I would sell to a collector and invest in fresh ammo. Just my take.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My advice is do NOT try and shoot em! As Suredan said, you likely see cracked cases... and almost certainly see misfires. In addition, they most likely are corrosive! Save em for collecting and buy some Hornady or Remington ammo.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . you likely see cracked cases... and almost certainly see misfires. In addition, they most likely are corrosive!. . .

I believe that by 1930 Winchester and most other US makers had learned the value of a final neck anneal to alleviate the stress cracking common in earlier production.

Label on box says "Staynless" - this means non-corrosive priming.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Hey Parashooter,
I had an old shop foreman mention that copper age hardens. If he was right, I would guess it is a slow process.
If age hardening is a real thing would almost 100 year old brass be a candidate?

Suredan

Post by Suredan »

FredC, I think you are on the right track. I have some older cartridges in my collection that exhibit cracked necks and they have never been fired or reloaded.

craigster

Post by craigster »

Yup, "Staynless" = non corrosive.

Sell 'em (or trade) to a collector. Or keep 'em for your collection.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

I agree. Great to look at but I wouldn't shoot them.

I was given 4 boxes of 30-40 220 gr Remington Kleenbore a while back. These were suspected to be early 60s vintage. The ammo looked very good. I shot a few rounds over the chrono. Velocity ranged from 2010 to 2385. Corresponding recoil was noticeably different too.

I tried to pull a few bullets without much luck. They were stuck, galvanic bonding between copper jacket and brass case. I attempted to break the bond by bumping the bullet against a seating die. Nope, only succeeded in crushing the shoulder. They were really stuck!

Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I believe that by 1930 Winchester and most other US makers had learned the value of a final neck anneal to alleviate the stress cracking common in earlier production.

Label on box says "Staynless" - this means non-corrosive priming.

Good call Para... I missed the Staynless on the box. I didn't know they were annealing by 1930 though.

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

Under the banner of 'Murphy's Law' , I think I will vote on the side of caution. I have a box with a lid marked, 8-30 as well, but only 'smokeless' rather than 'Staynless' and there is no 'Staynless' or lot number on the box itself. The ammo is marked '30 Army' which is different. So, we have two lids marked differently and two boxes with cartridges that are different. Which do you think is correct - if either. Knowing my success rate in situations like this, I will assume I have a replaced lid and corrosive ammo.