W296 powder

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
carbon outlaw

W296 powder

Post by carbon outlaw »

Just wanted to complain ... I tried Winchester 296 and it worked grate for 9 shots ... The 10 shot it made a thump sound and the bullet got stuck in my barrel ... It says this powder can have a ignition trouble an suggest that you use a heavy crimp or a compressed powder charge ... Or you can have the problems I had or sometimes it will partially ignight and you can have very high pressures as a results .... I think I'll go back to using 2400 powder ... Thanks hearing my complaint ...

Hoot

Re: W296 powder

Post by Hoot »

W296/H110 like pert-near 100% load density for ignition. I use them for high zoot handgun but wouldn't personally choose it for reduced rifle loads for the exact reason you describe.

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

CO,

What I'm about to say is mostly for whomever reads this thread later.

Never, never, never ever, 110/296 for reduced capacity loadings. BAD JUJU BWANA!!

As stated, full case/small capacity cartridges are 110/296's forte.

BAD things happen with small charges getting rolled around in a large(ish) case.

Even 2400 can be shown to be somewhat position sensitive with the chronograph.

I personally *much* prefer the recoil pulse of 2400 over 110/296 due to the nasty pressure spike it makes. 300BO with 110-125gr jacketed is outstanding in a single shot pistol, not in anything big enough to be less than AT LEAST 60% case fill.

I'm glad to hear that you got off with just a stuck bullet and will switch back.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Yeah. I have read something along that line too. No reduced loads for H110.W296. Even Sierra in their manual for 300BLK said reduced loads below the sub round load is not recommended. I looked in a filled case and it appeared the 220RNs would be sitting on the powder or just a cat whisker above it.

I take those kind of warnings as gospel from the bullet gods when I read them.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

A powder in that burn rate that I have used a lot is Blue Dot. It makes for some very accurate loads. Some reloaders are leery of it however. You might also try using a CCI#34 primer with your 296, they are meant to light ball powders.

craigster

Post by craigster »

Where/how did you come up with the idea to use 296 for a reduced in the 30-40 ? Did you use published load data, or just make a WAG ? If the latter, not even a good idea.