Krag shooting woes

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Sarthree

Krag shooting woes

Post by Sarthree »

Hello all, I recently purchased a late production Krag (466xxx) that is shooting poorly…any by poorly I mean 12 inch groups at 25 yards. The gun came with the incorrect rear sights so I replaced them with the correct site and started with some reloads. Terrible groups. Tightened everything on the gun, little better. Changed the sights back to the ones it came with, a little better. Did the bullet test and the muzzle ate the bullet…is it possible that the gun is so shot out that it resulting in these groups? The bore and the barrel look good…any ideas?

butlersrangers

Re: Krag shooting woes

Post by butlersrangers »

'Sarthree' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

If you post some photos of your Krag, especially of the muzzle-crown, sights, and re-loads, maybe someone will spot something.

What bullet and powder charge are you using?

Most Krag barrels run about .309" to .310", groove to groove. It is good practice to 'slug' a bore and measure diameters.

It is good to check the fit of the barreled/action in the stock, (with barrel-bands off).
I firmly tighten the front trigger-guard screw, while holding the barreled/ action in the stock. I make sure the action and barrel are nicely settled into place.
Check forearm and barrel-channel for any side-ward warping. An upward pressure of 2 to 4 pounds of the stock tip against the barrel is good.
Install the barrel-bands making sure they won't tightly bind a hot barrel from expanding forward.

Insert the rear trigger-guard screw last. Just tighten it until it is snug. Over-tightening the rear screw, will lever the barrel upward off of its bedding.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

It’s possible — you really need to do a bore scope and inspect the muzzle crown. A messed up muzzle crown can throw off your accuracy too. The fact it’s swallowing the bullet head at the muzzle is a bad sign — it’s at or near the end of its life.

I have a bore scope video taken of my Krag barrel — I’m on a waiting list for re-barreling at the CMP Custom Shop.

Shot-out 1898 Krag Bore Scope Video

The bore scope I used is from EndoSnake — they run around $60 for a 6’ snake. I use a windows laptop with it, although I think you can use a smartphone too.
Last edited by P0H0 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarthree

Post by Sarthree »

Thank you for your welcome and response. I’m using a generic load of 150gn bullets with 40gn of 4064. I will work on posting pics…I will go through the procedure you suggested. If the bullets usually slug out larger, what do you use for bullets?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Even with a couple of Krag rifles with rough bores, I had decent 50 yard groups using 'jacketed' .308" projectiles in the 165 to 180 grain range and starting loads of IMR-3031 and IMR-4895.
Flat based bullets with long bearing surfaces may fit your rifling better than 150 grain 'spitzers'. Not all Krag rifles l'ike' 147 to 150 grain bullets.

Cast bullets open a whole world of accuracy for worn and 'over-size' bores. Measuring by slugging the bore gives an idea of bullet fit.
Wear at the muzzle might respond to a 're-crown' or counter-boring.

Krag enthusiasts are slow to give up on a barrel! The .30-40 cartridge is very tolerant of a wide variety of loads.

Did your 25 yard target show any signs of the bullets 'key-holing'?