The Famous Krag Cast Bullet

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Cat Man

The Famous Krag Cast Bullet

Post by Cat Man »

While looking through some 1906 Shooting and Fishing magazines I saw this ad for the Ideal cast bullet.
We have discussed it before but I thought you fellows would want to print it and tack it above your reloading bench.
600 yards ....no problem.

Jeff the Caterpillar Man
Attachments
Krag Cast Bullet ad.jpg
Krag Cast Bullet ad.jpg (239.97 KiB) Viewed 1543 times

butlersrangers

Re: The Famous Krag Cast Bullet

Post by butlersrangers »

BTW - Laflin & Rand "Lightning" powder was introduced around 1898. It appears to have been a double-based powder, in a perforated disc form, with a high nitroglycerin content. The powder was continued by Dupont, and then by Hercules, and was dropped around WW-2.

It appears to have some similarity to Reloader #7 in its burn rate. It may have been hard on barrels due to high heat.
Attachments
Laflin and Rand - Lightening Powder.jpg
Laflin and Rand - Lightening Powder.jpg (164.57 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Lightning charges.jpg
Lightning charges.jpg (249.4 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Lightning Ad.jpg
Lightning Ad.jpg (275.44 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Lyman 311284 was the first bullet mould I ever bought, 1965. I started out using it in my Bannerman-Krag, later in my Springfields. Never tried it at 600, but it was OK at 200. Probably performed better than either the rifle or the shooter. Still have it.

I originally used it with HiVel #2.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Mt first 30 caliber mold also, but the NOE version that has a .302 bore rider for those slightly oversized Krag bores. At the time I bought it a lot of people were complaining about undersize Lyman molds. Shoots good, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a match with some of the better loads. Always reliable feeding.

King carp

Post by King carp »

That was the first rifle bullet mold i bought (1973). Sometimes i wish i had bought a two cavity model. it works in my 30-06 and 30-40 loads as good or better than my other .30 cal. molds. I guess i got lucky with mine, it has a .302 nose section when cast with lyman no. 2 mix..