Shooters World Match Rifle

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Musicmanhd130

Shooters World Match Rifle

Post by Musicmanhd130 »

Hello I'm sorry if this in the wrong place. I have an abundance of shooters world match rifle powder I was wondering if anyone has load data for a 30-40 to be used in the 1898 sprngfield. Thank you in advance.

FredC

Re: Shooters World Match Rifle

Post by FredC »

HelloMusicmanhd130,
I have been hanging out here for about 10 years and do not load for 30/40. I do load for 35/40 but that is a different story. Is "shooters world match rifle powder" the name of a powder? If so, I have never heard of it.
If "Shooters World Match Rifle Powder" is the proper name for the powder, what is it similar too?

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I'm with Fred. I've never heard of Shooters World Match Rifle powder. There is a "relative burn rate" chart on the Reloader 19 topic two topics below this. Once upon a time, military surplus powders were sold in large containers, maybe 50 lbs. I remember seeing 4350 and 4831 sold that way. I suspect that 4895 was available that way, maybe even from DCM. I suspect that someone obtained one or more of those old surplus containers and repackaged the stuff. Given our world today, the stuff could be Russian or Chinese military surplus.

If it is ball powder, the grains will be little spheres. If it is extruded, physical comparison of the individual grains with known samples of other powders might give you a hint. If I had your powder, I'd look at IMR-4895, IMR-4350, and IMR-4831 for starters. If you can look at individual grains under a microscope, that would help a lot. Measure grain length & diameter, and then look at the ends of the grains. Are there tiny holes that run through each grain? Burn a tiny amount and look at the residue. Compare that with the residue of known types.

If you are determined to use the stuff, get a sturdy & low-value military rifle, not a Krag, as a test gun. Use something like a Russian Moisin-Nagant and new brass. Get a really good micrometer and an accurate scale and start measuring. Remember that you are risking your eyes, your fingers, and a LOT of your time just to use some cheap powder.

The stuff is probably really good fertilizer. You may be better off pouring it on your rose bushes.

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

Match Rifle Powder - Propellant | Shooters World
https://shootersworldpowder.com/match-rifle
Global web icon

Match Rifle Propellant. This propellant is highly versatile, and has shown exceptional accuracy in .223 Remington, 5.56mm, and .308 Winchester. It is similar in burn speed to Accurate® 2520, CFE™223, Reloader®15 and IMR 4064. It holds the broadest utility across all moderate rifle propellants. The propellant gas generation rate is

FredC

Post by FredC »

Capt. Frank's link gets us somewhere. Similar burn to 4064 will give you a lot of load data. Similar is not exact. I guess comparing known cartridge data of "Match Powder" with the same cartridge and bullet weight in 4064 would tell you how close the powders are. A lot of research would be needed before I tried using the same powder charge as 4064 in 30/40. Some powders tend to detonate if too low a pressure is achieved. Anyone know if this powder is predictable at 30k CUP?

I am not good at reading primers at these low pressures. I know what primers look like at 30-06 pressures. I just do not see much difference in the 30K to 40K step.

I do have a copy of QuickLoad, but I am not sure if "Match Powder" is even in there.

Just checked and Shooter's World powders are not in my QuickLoad list. Not sure if the list can be updated.

Musicman if you want a powder in this class you might look at Varget, also similar to 4064 and very predictable in the 30 to40K CUP range. With QuickLoad support and some info for 30/40 in loading manuals. Some manuals have starting loads listed for Varget in 308 Winchester that are right at 40K Cup these would be very good max loads for 30/40 with predictable pressures trying starting loads a few grains less.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I was also unaware of "Shooter's World" powders. It appears these propellants have been on the market for a few years in the U.S.

The powders are imported. They are manufactured in the Czech Republic by Explosia A.S., a manufacturer of propellants since 1920.

Their powders have been sold & used over much of Europe under the name "Lovex".

Shooters World powders use the same ID numbers as Lovex powders, which appears to allow reloaders (with a Shooters World powder) to use Lovex Data.

It appears that until 2008, Explosia A.S. manufactured powders for Accurate Arms.

New sources and lower costs for reloading supplies are always exciting news.

Personally, I have been disappointed when I have tried "new powder brands".
Things tend to happen too fast, with changes in ownership, actual manufacturers, limited published data, and products being discontinued.

It is annoying to arrive at a good hand-load only to find it has to be developed again, due to change or the powder no longer being available.

I tend to just stay with IMR and W-W powders.

www.shootersworldsc.com
Attachments
MATCH-RIFLE-1-LB.png
MATCH-RIFLE-1-LB.png (156.66 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
shooters world.jpg
shooters world.jpg (203.38 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

QuickLoad has Lovex powders listed. There is even a Lovex D073.6, not sure if it is anything like "Match Rifle" (Br's photo is a little fuzzy). If you use the correct Lovex data then you have to hope the relabeled powder is not tweaked a bit.

A lot of members here have been using the traditional IMR powders and shooting "target size" groups. I am not sure it is worth the uncertainty of going after something that may only be a smidgeon better and deal with the difficulty in finding good load data. If Shooters World will give you assurance that their powder is the same as a Lovex powder and you can find that specific powder in QuickLoad or some other calculator maybe it will be possible to work up something that will work.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The OP already has a quantity of Shooters World - "Match Rifle" powder.

It would probably be worthwhile for him to contact "Shooters World" directly and ask for suggested loads.

Shooters World has a 'chart' that shows that five of their powders, (AR Plus, Tactical Rifle, Match Rifle, Precision, and Long Rifle), are suitable for .30-40.

Ironically, in searching the internet, I could find no loading data for Shooters World/Lovex powders and the .30-40 Krag.

(The .303 British cartridge data, that I found, gave pressures that are way too high for the Krag action. There is a lot of .30-30 Winchester data, with low pressures, but that is a very different case capacity).

In searching for sources & vendors for Shooters World powders, a lot of the named propellants were on "backorder".
Also, the prices with shipping costs, did not seem all that great.

I will follow this 'brand' with interest, but, I am inclined to purchase what I can get locally and have a wealth of data for!

attached: Shooters World comparative burn rate chart (& Lovex #) and possible rifle caliber applications.
Attachments
IMG_1729 burn rates.JPG
IMG_1729 burn rates.JPG (386.71 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG (570.3 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

The info just posted by Br will be good news for the OP. If Match rifle is safe in 30/30 it will operate safely at 30/30 starting loads. So detonation should not be an issue with reasonable starting loads. My copy of QuickLoad does not have Lovex D073.06 it does have Lovex D073.6 which I suspect is the same thing. A call to QuickLoad and Shooter's World could confirm that.
I forgot what I paid for my copy of QuickLoad but I remember it as being reasonable. I think having a chronograph to check bullets speeds to confirm expectations of experimental loads would be a good thing.