Krag Ammo Now Obsolete?! =(

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Re: Krag Ammo Now Obsolete?! =(

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Mr. Tickle! Welcome to the forum.

Starline does offer brass in many calibers, but I don't think that they offer 30-40 Krag. I believe that Hornady uses PPU/Privi brass for their loaded ammo, but they don't offer brass otherwise. I've written to a couple different cartridge manufacturers and received a (quite curt, to be honest) response from one of them. I believe that someone else wrote to Privi... and they would be the most obvious choice since they already manufacture .303 British, which is just a couple hairs off of 30-40. I'm hoping that Remington is still going to offer it for sale, since there really IS a demand for it (I'm thinking that Midway just didn't want to carry it anymore because of the lack of high volume sales it was generating, and used the Remington excuse to drop the line).

Paul

P.S. I just checked Starline's website, and as far as I can tell, they only offer straight-walled cases. Starline is definitely not making 30-40 Krag!

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

img

img

img

img

The brass is in excellent shape.

I would use these rounds but I bet it's worth more unfired? >)

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

img

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe it's just an illusion, but, that Sears & Roebuck 'Sportload' round doesn't look like it has a .30 caliber projectile. It appears larger than .308". (8mm maybe)???

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I thought it looked odd too!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Most of us have dial calipers or micrometers. Measure a few. I think both boxes & contents are worth more as collector items than as one bang and maybe usable brass.

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

I'll have to get in touch with one of my friends that has calipers or micrometers.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Inserting the bullet nose in the bore at the muzzle for fit should give a 'Ball Park' idea if bullet diameter is correct.

FWIW: .30 cal. - .308" / .303 - .312 to .314" / 8mm - .317 to .323"

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

Inserting the bullet nose in the bore at the muzzle for fit should give a 'Ball Park' idea if bullet diameter is correct.

FWIW: .30 cal. - .308" / .303 - .312 to .314" / 8mm - .317 to .323"

I did this and it is the correct diameter.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

'Ambrose' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

For the virtues you mention: accuracy, power, and pleasant recoil, the .30-40 Krag is not obsolete. However, with only approximately 1/2 million rifles ever chambered for it, there is certainly not the demand enjoyed by many other cartridges.

IMHO - the .30-40 Krag has kind of a 'cult' following and most who use it probably reload and enjoy antique military arms.

There are lots of rumors as to whether the .30-40 ammo and brass will continue to be made by Remington and Winchester. In the recent past it appears to have been made on a seasonal basis.

It is easy to make workable .30-40 brass from '.303 British' cartridges cases. That is the route many Krag enthusiasts will take if .30-40 brass is 'out of stock'.

I recommend that you make friends with a 'Reloader', who would be willing to reload your cases for you or with you.

However, you may wish to reconsider your view on 'Reloading' and start learning about it. It is a lot of fun, stretches your 'shooting dollars', and is affordable. (About $100 will get you a basic LEE single-stage press, Dies, and powder scale).

I find the Krag, like most bolt actions, very easy to clean. It takes about 15 minutes with Hoppe's #9, a 36 inch cleaning rod, .30 cal. bronze brush, a jag, and probably six cleaning patches. Powder residue from most appropriate loads cleans very easily.

How would you compensate for the difference in lengths? Adjust loads?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson