Safety of 6.5 X 55 Swedish ammo in Norwegian Krag?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
chuck0990

Re: Safety of 6.5 X 55 Swedish ammo in Norwegian Krag?

Post by chuck0990 »

Hi I'm new to this site, I also have an 1897 Steyr. I would like to know what cartridge yours is chambered for. Mine says 6.5mm Mann on the barrel, and I think it is chambered for a 6.5x52 Mannlicher-Carcano (Italian). Is this the cartridge yours uses? Thanks in advance.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'chuck': Welcome to the KCA forum.
It is most likely your Norwegian Krag had its barrel 'set-back' by shortening at the breech end and was re-chambered for the 6.5 X 54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge (a lined chamber is also possible). This type of conversion was done back in the 1950s, when '6.5 Swede' was hard to get and 6.5 M-S was available in North America. (BTW - Norwegian Krag barrels have a left-hand thread). Inspection by a very experienced and knowledgeable 'gun-guy' is advised.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That would be my thought as to caliber as well - the Italian service round would be pretty unlikely, IMHO.

coastie

Post by coastie »

butler...
confirm left hand thread for barrel to receiver...
I have and example of a bubba'd Norwegian, after a while I figured out why the bolt was difficult to work.
Guess I have a stripped parts gun.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

More likely to be 6.5x54 Mannilicher (Greek) as butler's rangers said. In the late 50s, early 60s there was a company known as Global Firearms Company and Globe Firearms Ltd, who had offices in Toronto and NY. I'll bet the chamber has been lined. You'd have to set a 6.5 x55 back awfully far to get the smaller 6.5x54 chamber, I think. The reasoning behind it was that Dominion was producing 6.5x54 and it was more available than 6.5x55. This is not the only Krag project Global had going. They also made up some sporters with new barrels, stocks, and sights. These were in .308! Global Arms Model 777 will turn up a few examples. I also stumbled upon one that a Canadian has in .243, and he is shooting factory ammo through it! I think I'll pass on running what could be a SAAMI max 62000PSI load through a Krag!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?230855-Global-arms-777

tev

Post by tev »

All,

I tried to post the links to the ammo I'm talking about but the system wouldn't let me until I posted a first message. So here's the first message. Links to follow in next post.

Recent member. I just bought a 1916 Norwegian Krag carbine and I don't yet know how to reload ammo. I do shoot a number of vintage rifles, so I may take it up later. But for now I'd really like to ask why the PRVI Partisan soft point 139 grain isn't ok in a vintage N Krag.

I've read that there are only two companies that make Krag-safe 6.5x55 ammo. One of them is Norma. The round is 144 grains and the muzzle velocity is listed as 780 meters/second. If google did my math right, that ends up at 2559 fps:

So the question is - and I know nothing of chamber pressures, etc -- if PRVI Partisan SP 6.5x55 139 grain has a muzzle velocity of 2543 fps, isn't that close enough to Krag-safe Norma for range firing?

Thanks in advance. I'll post pics of the rifle once I get it.

tev

Post by tev »

The Norma ammo link is:

https://www.dfsnettbutikk.no/products/norma-sierra-93g-780-msek

The PRVI links is:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-65x55-prvi-partizan-139gr-soft-point-ammo

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

You could email PRVI and see what they think. As I said before, you likely have an oversized bore, and an undersized bullet. The combination is not going to produce the same pressure as a nice new pressure testing barrel.