New member from France, with a Krag.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Re: New member from France, with a Krag.

Post by butlersrangers »

Francois: If your barrel is an original Krag barrel, there will be a "P" (proof mark) like this. You have to take off the stock to find it. Also, there will be rear sight holes (possibly expertly filled and subtle) approximately 8 1/2mm and 14 1/2mm in front of the receiver ring.Image

oxi81

Post by oxi81 »

Thank you very much for this rear sight identification.
I just need to find a sight aperture now.

For the barrel, there is no marking near the front sight band, nor "P" near the receiver, nor any notch. In fact, the barrel is totally blank.

Francois

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Francois: Look for a "P" on the barrel below the wood. Also, look for two small circle 'spots' on the top of the barrel (8 1/2mm and 14 1/2mm) in front of the action that show a faint difference in metal finish (holes filled with finished off screws). If these features are absent, the barrel must be a non-Krag replacement.
Any Lyman, Redfield, or Williams Sight Disc should fit your Lyman rear sight. For Hunting, these were left off to improve field of vision.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Francois: Your Krag 'Sporter' must have been fitted with a non-military/commercial barrel. How is the condition of the bore?

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

I would leave it as-is. It's a very nice sporter, and will require a lot of work to make into a semblance of an as-issued rifle. (Barrel, stock, and Lyman 48 screw holes to be filled. Then comes the added expense of the as-issued stock furniture: bands, butt plate, etc., and then sights.)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Francois: Your Krag seems to be a nicely done conversion to a hunting rifle. It would be fascinating to know the story of how it got to France. In wooded Deer hunting States, like Michigan, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, and Washington, shortened Krags made excellent and inexpensive hunting rifles. Converted Krags (skillfully to poorly done in the 1920s & 1930s) are relatively common and small companies once prospered offering sights and accessories. Your Krag falls into the skillfully done category.Image

oxi81

Post by oxi81 »

Francois: Your Krag 'Sporter' must have been fitted with a non-military/commercial barrel. How is the condition of the bore?

I also think that's a commercial/aftermarket barrel : no marking, and no small circle in the top of the barrel. This barrel has never been drilled for a rear sight installation.
The bore is excellent, as new.

A question about the 30-40 Krag cartridge : may I reload with the same bullets than my M1903 (180gr HPBT)..? or is it better to reload with RN bullets?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Lots of Krags seem to feed 'pointed' bullets, like your 180gr. HPBT, without problem. In some rifles, the point of the bullet will hang up on the breech face of the barrel. It is a matter of 'trial and error'. RN nose bullets generally feed smoothly without problem. You have to experiment to see what works trouble free in your Krag.Image

oxi81

Post by oxi81 »

Thanks again for your all your advices.
I will try this reloading at the range (200m/218yd) as soon as I get my 30-40 Krag dies and the aperture sight disk. I'll take some pictures.

Have a nice day... ;)

oxi81

Post by oxi81 »

As you already know, I want to buy an aperture disk for my #48 Lyman sight.

I found some on Midway.com :
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=16968
or on Buffaloarms :
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Williams_Gun_Sight_Eye_Cup_pr-4778.aspx

I'm a total newbie in diopter rear sight technology.
I know that I need to buy a 3/8" diameter disk, but what's the best opening hole for a 200 yards shooting range? .050 or .093? Or is it better to buy both?

Thank you.
Francois