New member from France, with a Krag.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
oxi81

New member from France, with a Krag.

Post by oxi81 »

Hello guys. ;)

I'm from France (excuse me for my poor english) and I was seeking for a US military krag-Jorgensen for a very long time. This kind of rifles are very-very rare around here.
Some days ago, at last, I found one. A 1898 model (#223373), formerly sporterized with an aftermarket shoulder stock, peep sight (diopter) and Lyman front sight.

All parts are original except the stock. No original rear sight.
img
This rifle would have been found on a WW1 american airfield in north-east of France, after the war.
img
I do not plan to change the front and rear sights, but I would like to find a reglementary rifle shoulder stock to give to this rifle a more military look.
Something like this :
img

All help will be welcome.

Cheers...

Francois.

psteinmayer

Re: New member from France, with a Krag.

Post by psteinmayer »

First, welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags. I think you will find that they are among the most accurate and smoothest operating rifles ever made.

Your rifle looks to be a very nice sporter, and well done too. Although it's barrel has been cutdown, it should still perform well as a good shooter. Rather than replace the stock, you might want to look for an original military Krag to compliment your sporter. They can be found for decent prices on sites like the CMP, Gunbroker, etc. I don't know all about the laws in France, and whether they can be imported, but it's an option.

If you're set on replacing your stock with a military stock, they can also be found on ebay, and other sites. Rear sights and hand guards can be found too.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, and keep us informed!

Paul

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome Francois to the KCA forum. There cannot be very many U.S. Krag rifles in Europe. It was not even appreciated, until recently, that some Krags went to England and France in 1917 in the hands of some U.S. Soldiers. It appears, these Krags were utilized by U.S. Troops for training and guarding Railways. Your Krag has been converted into a useful 'Sporter'. I believe your gunstock is an altered U.S. Military stock. (I have attached a copy of a picture taken of two men in the Philippine Constabulary, around 1905. The man on the right is holding a PC Krag , like the one pictured in your message. These are very rare altered Krag rifles. It is possible that not one legitimate PC Krag is in the U.S. However, similar 'School' rifles are common and could be easily made by anyone). Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Francois: If you are thinking about restoring your Krag to its original U.S. Military configuration or appearance, this is a very expensive and unwise plan. Your Model 1898 U.S. Krag was originally an Infantry Rifle and the barrel was 30 inches long (76.2 centimeters). An original barrel, stock, hand-guard, rear sight, and barrel bands are now hard to find an will cost $700 to $800 in the United States. (A decent original Model 1898 U.S. Krag is worth $700 to $800). Enjoy your altered Krag "Hunting Rifle" as it is!

(Photo of my three Model 1898 'Krags' - "stacked").Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Picture of a U.S. Model 1898 Krag that is undergoing restoration. This one is practical because only the stock was shortened.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

This is a detail picture that shows how the Krag front sight appears on U.S. Rifles and Carbines (when issued from Springfield Armory for U.S. Troops).Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The carbine sight blade was shorter than the one for the Infantry rifle.Image

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I am most interested in the stock as it is at present. Would you please post a photo showing the stock in some detail? I have had a similar Krag since 1962 and would like to compare stocks.

oxi81

Post by oxi81 »

I am most interested in the stock as it is at present. Would you please post a photo showing the stock in some detail? I have had a similar Krag since 1962 and would like to compare stocks.

Hi all, thank you for your welcome.

@reincarnated: the stock is well made. The inletting of receiver and barrel is perfect. The buttplate is made of dark brown ebonite and shows the brand "BAKER". There is a tiny marking under the pistol grip "BL18" or something like this.

@butlersrangers: I do not have a PC shoulder stock on my rifle, but would like to find an original (or repro) Krag rifle stock and upper band to turn my sporterized Krag into a look-alike PC. ;) Importing a Krag rifle from USA is possible, but expensive (at least two times the initial rifle price) and administratively heavy. :-/

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

There are a wealt of good pictures at the front pagehis web site with all different of t versions and types of makes and models for you to look at. If you have needs for mote detail I am sure the members here that have the 1998 models will be glad to help. I have 3 model 1894 rifle, a model 1896 carbine and a model 1898 cut down, but my cut down 98 is not one for pictures as it is a parts only gun and the Bubba the did the damage to the wonderful rifle should be beat down with what is left of the rifle. Welcome aboard the site, hope we can help you out as much as possible! What part of Frace do you Live in? I live in the RIchmond Virginia area.