Krag Take Down Tool

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Ken Knox

Krag Take Down Tool

Post by Ken Knox »

Still learning about my Krag. I have a krag take down tool.
What is the peg used for?

Thanks,
KenImage

butlersrangers

Re: Krag Take Down Tool

Post by butlersrangers »

The 'drift pin' on your tool is too long. It has either been replaced or the tool is a 'bogus' altered 1903 Springfield tool. The pin on your tool also seems to go the wrong way, but, some tools were incorrectly assembled. The 'drift pin' on the 1897 tool was reportedly used in removing the butt plate cap, trigger, and lower barrel band (stock) pin. (I have no clue why Springfield Armory would want soldiers removing/dis-assembling these parts)! Attached photo shows correct 1897 Tool. (Mallory, 'Krag Rifle Story', calls this an 1894 Tool).Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ken: I hope I am not coming across as arrogant or a 'know it all'. I am curious where you obtained your 'Krag' tool. I believe there are a number of things wrong with it. I have seen original tools that were assembled incorrectly by Springfield with the pin drift pointing the wrong way. But, your tool seems to have an odd looking "US" to me. Your screwdriver tips appear 're-ground' and the 'pin-drift' is too long and looks new. You should look at the hinge end of the tool for evidence of a third screwdriver being ground-off. I am attaching a picture of an 1897 Krag tool next to an early 1903 Springfield tool. The 1903 tools were made for 40 years, through WW2, by private makers, as well as, Springfield. I hope you do not have too much invested in your tool. Real 1897 tools are often priced around $90.Image

Ken Knox

Post by Ken Knox »

butlersrangers,, I came here to learn and I appreciate all the information you are giving me. I purchaced the tool on ebay. I see what you mean about the "US". It is of a different font than the ones in your pictures. There is no evidence of a 3,rd screwdriver being ground off. I checked it out under a microscope. When I recieved it it had some surface rust on it and old oil so I put it in my ultrasonic cleaner with a clock cleaning solution. That normally removes rust and gunk without harming the surface. That accounts for the new look I can see why someone would turn a 1903 into a krag lookalike but do they make complete repros?
Ken

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ken: I'm not aware of reproduction 1897 tools. Unfortunately, it would not be hard to make a fake from the more common 1903 tools, especially early ones. My Krag tool is marked "US" (no periods) and my early 1903 tool is marked "U.S." (with periods) and the same style of letters. By the way, I learn something new every day. Answering questions sure makes me see things in a new light.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yeah... good question Ken, because I need to get one also to complete my 1898. I can tell you that you will find them at the antique arms shows.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Back in July, 2012, MadFarmers posted this picture of some of his Krag tools on the KCA forum. It is worth studying to get a 'feel' for the appearance of an authentic 1897 Krag screwdriver/tool.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Earlier this year, I successfully bid on this tool. The Seller let me 'back out' of the deal when I realized and explained that the tool was not correct. I believe it was made from a 1903 Springfield tool. The drift pin is too long and points the 'wrong' way. The "US" mark is also not the correct style of lettering and there seems to be more metal surrounding the rivet at the top end of the tool.Image

Ken Knox

Post by Ken Knox »

Thanks for the information. I contacted the seller and will be returning it for a refund.

Ken

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Good info. And here I thought that the only tool needed to take down a Krag was a two-pound hammer! :D