Krag restorer in Phoenix, Arizona

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
ArizonaTravis

Krag restorer in Phoenix, Arizona

Post by ArizonaTravis »

Hello all,
I have a 1898 Krag that was my grandfathers prior to his passing. I would guess that the gun hasn't been fired in about 20 years and is at least missing the rear sight. I am looking for a gunsmith in Arizona (Phoenix area) that is able to do a full tune-up on the gun as well as to do a restoration of the gun. I am looking to get the gun as back to original working condition as possible and would like to use a company that specializes in vintage guns. Any leads on somebody in the Phoenix area would be helpful.

FredC

Re: Krag restorer in Phoenix, Arizona

Post by FredC »

You have come to the right place for help on your Krag. The section your inquiry is in may not get noticed though. Your regular gunsmiths in the Phoenix area could install the sight for you if you are not comfortable doing that. Not everyone has gunsmith quality screw drivers for not damaging the screws or the feel for the correct tightness when installing the sight.
A regular gunsmith will not know the nuances of getting the right sight for your gun and he would probably have to charge your for the time to research and finding the correct one. Since you are trying to restore a military Krag you will be found by the more knowledgeable on this sight if you repost under "US Military Krags". If you do this I am sure the regulars will have a wealth of info for you as well as being able to point you to the correct replacement.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

How about some pictures? I'm not at all sure that you actually NEED a gunsmith. There is more than one possible sight for your rifle, but the pictures (include a shot of the empty cutout) would tell us which one.

ArizonaTravis

Post by ArizonaTravis »

Here are a couple of photos. I know I need a rear sight. I would also love to add the original sling. Also, I would love for this gun to shoot again and get some use out of it. And looking at the metal on the bolt, I don't know if that appears normal or if the bolt would need some work as well. I will say that that bolt has a very smooth action.ImageImageImageImageImage

ArizonaTravis

Post by ArizonaTravis »

Here is an additional photo.Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Uhhh - you've got some issues there. In fact, I don't know exactly what to recommend. Obviously, it has great sentimental value to you - and I certainly respect that - otherwise I'd suggest you dispose of it as not worth fixing.

The receiver has been drilled and tapped for a 'scope mount. Do you have it, or is it missing? I do not know which mount it might have been - most used four screws. If not then at least putting screws in the holes would improve the appearance. You are missing the rear sight and hand-guard (which isn't really required, for a shooter. The barreled action (Model 1898) does not match the stock (Model 1896). The barrel band is incorrect, and on backwards. That model did not have swivels or a sling, but if you want one, I'd suggest getting the proper rifle style sling fittings - the ones you have are homemade. Fixing that would involve some woodworking skill. The stock has been excessively sanded, which has damaged the profile - this is not fixable.

If you skip the handguard, you can use any Krag carbine sight - the Model 1901 is the cheapest and easiest to find. The correct Model 1896 rear sight is $500+ though you could use a Model 1896 rifle sight and no one would know. The proper sight would also require the proper band which has protective horns.

Will the rifle stay cocked when the bolt is closed, and does the trigger release properly? I ask that because it looks like the bottom of the cocking piece has been ground off, perhaps intending to make the gun non-functional. I see from one of your pics that it apparently does stay cocked, but the cocking piece definitely seems damaged.

You know, I think I've talked myself in a circle - the best idea would probably be to mount Grandpa's gun in a nice frame and hang it on the wall as a tribute - then, use the money that you really - when all is said and done - would be wasting, chasing a very impractical dream, and buy yourself a nice Krag.

Just my $.02, based on 45 years of collecting.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Perhaps someone ground off the sear in an attempt to reduce the trigger pull... but my guess is that it would be dangerous to shoot that way! Am I correct in assuming that it has a banded front sight? I would guess that if it does, it has a cut down barrel too, which is another in a long line of problems. I agree with Dick (you can take anything Dick says to the bank!)... it's not worth trying to restore this to shootable condition.

Decent Krag rifles in all their full original military glory can be had for anywhere from $1,000 and upwards. Good shootable sporters can be found for significantly less (usually under $500). A Krag is one of the greatest rifles ever made, with the slickest bolt of any rifle ever designed! Once you have one, you'll want more...

FredC

Post by FredC »

I noticed the mounting holes for a Krag sight have been filled and a dovetail added in that area. To get this one in firing condition, maybe a sporting sight to fit the dovetail? Also replacing the cocking piece/firing pin. Spend as little as possible to make it safe.
There are some threads on cleaning up the stock and metal parts, most involve using the right oil with a lot of elbow grease. For a wall hanger face the good side (bolt handle) out.
As a word of warning if you handle this thing too much it will grow on you and you will be getting more.

ArizonaTravis

Post by ArizonaTravis »

I appreciate all the help and advice. After reading what you guys have said, I think I am just going to keep it in the exact condition it is and just put it in a nice mount to hang on the wall and display it. I know it wouldn't win any shows, or even be fireable, but I has a lot of sentimental value.
I will be looking to eventually buy another Krag that I can actually shoot. What I love about my grandpa's Krag is even in it's current condition, I have never felt a bolt so smooth. Again, thank you for all you advice on this. It is nice to know there is a place where a stranger can get some good advice from good people. Thank you.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You're quite welcome. And if no one said it yet... Welcome to the forum! They're a great bunch here.