Day 1 30-40 Krag Owner

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Re: Day 1 30-40 Krag Owner

Post by butlersrangers »

Chad S. - Your Krag rifle, #243746, likely had at least three different sights on it during its service career.
When 1st assembled and accepted, it probably had the model 1898 sight, with three sighting notches. This sight had a short use because it was not liked and was sighted for a higher velocity cartridge, that proved too 'hot' for the Krag action metallurgy (bolt lugs began to develop cracks).
With a return to earlier cartridge ballistics, the 'model 1898 sight rifles' were fitted with model 1896 sights. Most of these rifles subsequently were refitted with model 1901 or model 1902 Krag sights.
With the adoption of the 1903 Springfield, the preferred Krag sight was the model 1902. Early 1903 Springfields had a sight very similar to the 1902 Krag sight.
However, in 1905, major changes were made to the 1903 Springfield. It received a new rear sight which was similar to the 1901 Krag sight.
There is some basis to believe, that Krags in use by the Regular U.S. Services, tended to be fitted with the model 1901 sight, while Krags in use by the National Guard tended to have the model 1902 sight.
I would advise you to invest $20 in Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". The book is not without flaws, but it will increase your enjoyment of your Krag.Image

Chad S.

Post by Chad S. »

Once again Butlersrangers, I truly appreciate your time and expertise in this matter. You have most certainly expanded my knowledge of my rifle. And yes, I will invest in Joe Poyer's book, I've already looked it up on Amazon and placed it in my cart for my next Amazon purchase.

As always, if you would like to provide anymore information about my Krag to me, it is greatly appreciated. I am soaking it up and loving the learning process.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
-General George S. Patton Jr.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Chad, welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags! Be careful... they are quite addictive!

You have a very nice rifle there. If you choose to shoot it in any vintage rifle competitions (like so many of is do), we can certainly help you figure out what to do, what loads we each use, etc. Also, we are all here to help you with anything else you'll need to get started. Most of us reload, rather than paying the high cost of factory 30-40 ammo. Reloading for the Krag can prove very rewarding!

As for cleaning, remove the bolt and clean from the receiver end. To remove the bolt, lift up the extractor (running along the top of the bolt) slightly with your finger, and rotate the bolt to the left and remove to the rear. Insert the bolt in reverse fashion. You'll need a longer cleaning rod for that 30 inch barrel, but cleaning from the receiver end will help keep that muzzle nice and tight. (at least, that's how I do it)

I have the 1902 sight on my 1898 rifle, and I like it better than other sights. I use the flip-up "Sgt Peep" on the rear of the sight, and I shoot nice tight groups in my matches!

If you need any help or advice... just ask. There are plenty of great people here willing to help! This is a GREAT forum!

Paul

Chad S.

Post by Chad S. »

Well thank you very much for the welcome and advice Paul. I can already tell that Krags are addictive as I'm so excited and want more already. I look forward to learning so much about my rifle and Krags in general.

I would eventually like to get into reloading but I have no knowledge or education on reloading itself or anything to do with "loads" and any other terminology associated with it. I would definitely be interested in attending such a shooting match of Krag owners to talk with guys and bring my rifle, that would be a fun time. I'm assuming I have the same sight as you, the 1902, because I noticed that my sight has that popup peep to it, which I thought was very cool as I really enjoy peep sights.

Thank you for the info on how to take the bolt out, I did not know this. One question though, when you clean it, do you use solvent and oil for that barrel and receiver? I'm a little slow on the uptake and am a simple minded fellow so any detailed info (because I don't want to screw it up) would be greatly appreciated.

Chad

Chad S.

Post by Chad S. »

My rear sight.Image

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Chad I've taken more deer with my krag than any other rifle or caliber that i have. I bought my first one 36 years ago after listening to my grandfather brag about the one he had and then sold. He was with me when i bought my first so it is very special. I used it on woodchucks at 100 yards when i was young. stayed with those open sights. At one time the largest record elk taken in the US was taken with a 30-40 krag. Not sure if that still stands but it may.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yes Chad... I use Hoppes #9 to clean, and then oil everything afterward. Run a solvent patch through the barrel first, and then follow with a solvent soaked brush to scrub away any fouling and carbon residue. The run a few solvent patches to remove the gunk and follow that with several dry patches until they come out almost clean. Finally, run a couple oily patches through. I always wipe the exterior metal parts with oil too!

I purchased my first Krag (my 1898 sporter) from a Mississippi pawn shop in 1983, and used it for hunting. I knew what it was because my father had one (which I now have). I knew nothing about reloading, but because I wanted to save money, I purchased a Lee Handloader and started reloading. I learned as I went. It's very easy, and most of the dies you purchase come with load data to get you started. The initial cost of equipment (press, dies, scale, etc.) will eventually be offset by the money you save. I now load for everything I shoot, from .30 USA (30-40 Krag) to .45 ACP. If you decide to go this route, we'll definitely get you headed in the right direction.

Although it would be a long drive, you should plan on attending the National Vintage Rifle Match at Camp Perry next year. You'll see plenty of Krags (including me), along with 1917s, K-31 Swiss', Arisakas, Mausers, and a host of other old military arms. It's great fun!!!

Paul

Chad S.

Post by Chad S. »

Bill, I look forward to getting my rifle squared away and being able to use it. I most certainly want to shoot a deer with it for sure.

Paul, thank you for the information on how to clean my rifle. I guess that maybe it's not as different as what it sounded like when people were explaining it to me. It sounded like a more delicate, do not do process.

As for reloading, again, I'd love to get into that very much and when I do I know where to look. The only reason I haven't done so thus far is because of the initial startup costs involved. I save all of my brass from my 9mm and .223 for my AR to someday reload. So I'm already planning for that day, it's just the point of getting started.

As far as the shoot at Camp Perry. I searched it and your post from this past January popped up. This is actually where I gained the most knowledge about what you're talking about. That would be great to do, and I'd love to get together with you guys, but like others said in that post it's more of a money issue at this time. I've still got young kids at home, my youngest is 6, but when I acheive the level where I am able to do so I would definitely like to make the pilgrimage out there. Again, I'm just starting this journey of Krag-erdom, and although it looks like and I'm assuming it's all original, I am nervous to find out that I drove all that way to compete and have fun and can't shoot because my gun isn't original for some reason.

Chad S.

1898 Krag Value?

Post by Chad S. »

Good day everyone, it's been a little bit since I've been on. I've recently decided that given the fact that I have no emotional attachment to my Krag that I would attempt to sell it as I could use the money elsewhere.

Could someone please use the previously supplied information in my original post to, not give me a quote, but to give me a ballpark figure on what my Krag is worth? Also, after giving me an idea about what it's worth, give me an idea for a fair asking price?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated due to the fact that as I look around I see them listed anywhere from $400-$2,500.

Chad

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I would estimate your Krag being priced around $650 to $800. A lot would depend on bore condition.

IMHO - Model 1898 Krags are not real fast sellers, unless exceptional in condition or priced low.