1898 Krag restoration?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Fenn

Re: 1898 Krag restoration?

Post by Fenn »

Nothing like bring an old thread back to life, Just like this Krag.

So it's been awhile since I originally purchased this rifle.
But I got it back from the smith 2 days ago.
I though I would provide a progress update on this rifle that a few of you where so helpful in providing me information on.

It seemed a shame to alter the original rifle but it couldn't be used safely in it's original condition and didn't have any significant value due to it's condition. The one thing it does have going for it is how unique it is here in Australia and should be good talking point on the firing line.

I had a barrel manufactured for it by a reputable barrel maker here is oz as I got stone walled a bit with export and imports from the states.

I haven't got to the range with it yet, but hopefully over the next couple of weeks I'll be able to get down there and provide a range report. I've got my fingers crossed for good results as its my intention to have this as a dedicated 200yard rifle for vintage comps.

While I have the original stock on it at the moment I also have a Boyds full wood stock here that I think I'll drop it into, but I'll work on that at a latter date.

Here are some photos for those of you that are interested.
Thanks. :)
ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Krag restoration?

Post by butlersrangers »

Good Luck, Fenn! Your gunsmith did a nice job of remounting your sights on the replacement barrel. I bet it shoots well for you. Keep us posted on how she does.