Krag Book Recommendation-Brophy or Mallory/Olson

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
shih

Krag Book Recommendation-Brophy or Mallory/Olson

Post by shih »

I have purchased/read Poyers book on the Krag and feel ready to pony up the big bucks for a reference volume on Krags. What are your recommendations regarding purchasing Brophy's book or Mallory/Olsens book. Both are in excess of $100 and I want to make a wise decision.

-Randy

Ken_in_Iowa

Re: Krag Book Recommendation-Brophy or Mallory/Ols

Post by Ken_in_Iowa »

Both are good.

I bought Frank Mallory's book directly from him a few months before he passed. At that time, there was less than 100 copies available. The cost was around $75 at that time.

Perhaps you can tap into that source while you can. I would e-mail SRS to see if they can help.

Ken

shih

Post by shih »

Thanks

Wayne Gagner

Post by Wayne Gagner »

Krag Rifle Story is still available from U.S. Martial Arms Collector Box 126 cabin John, MD 20818

$80 postpaid.

Thanks,

Wayne

geezmo

Post by geezmo »

If you're going to get serious about Krags, I would eventually plan to own both. I feel that they definitely supplement each other. I have an older copy of Brophy's and the photos are clearer than my second edition of Mallory/Olson. The info in them is definitely supplemental. If you can only afford to get one at a time, I would get Mallory's first, if for no other reason than the information on serialization. I checked bookfinder.com the other night, and found four Brophy books in the $160 to $200 range. All the more reason to get Mallory's first, if it's still available at $80. Also, last night on auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com I saw a Brophy with a starting bid of $5. Check it out.
Good luck,
Barry

Rick_the_Librarian

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

There was a copy of Brophy on the CSP Shopper a few months ago - $39.95 - it didn't last long!

ussa

Post by ussa »

I bought the Brophy book back in 2003 from Rutgers Book Center.They have lots of gun titles.Check 'em out.Phone#732-545-4344.www.rutgersgunbooks.com.Happy hunting!Phil

ClaudeH

Post by ClaudeH »

The Krag Rifle Story is still available from U.S. Martial Arms Collector, but I don't think you'll see it for $80 anymore. I attempted to buy it from their website and had some delay. They must not have sold one in a while because their system forwarded my order to the wrong person. When the order was redirected to the correct person, he agreed to honor the order but said the $80 price should have been changed long ago.

ClaudeH

Post by ClaudeH »

Giving credit where credit is due:

The "correct person" to fulfill my order was Wayne Gagner. I believe it was very gentlemanly of him to honor what was apparently an out-of-date price. He fulfilled my order very quickly and, I must say, The Krag Rifle Story is a wonderful reference work.

Thanks, Wayne! (Wherever you are.)

mman92

Post by mman92 »

I got lucky. A friend was selling off books and I got a Brophy copy for $10. It has a 1998 pricetag on the inside jacket @$35.

Jack