Krag Book Recommendation-Brophy or Mallory/Olson

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
BobMcG

Re: Krag Book Recommendation-Brophy or Mallory/Ols

Post by BobMcG »

I've owned a Krag for years now but I haven't any books yet. Is the "Poyers book on the Krag " available and how much would a copy cost. I don't really wish to spend $80 on a book for myself right now if I can help it seeing as Christmas is closing in fast. Thanks.
1898 Carbine

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The Poyer Krag book is available, for $19.95 (I believe) from www.northcapepubs.com which is owned by Joe Poyer.

It contains a wealth of data, some of which is not available in either Mallory or Brophy. In some ways it presents the info better than the older, more expensive, works. As far as they go, IMHO, Mallory's text is more accurate than Brophy's, but he had a MUCH smaller budget, so Bill's book is valuable if just for the pictures. However, the Poyer book really WILL take care of most anybody.

BobMcG

Post by BobMcG »

Thank you very much for the info and link!
1898 Carbine

geezmo

Post by geezmo »

Rutger's Book Center still has some new copies of Brophy's book. I believe they are up to $150. Photos are great and clear, but don't know that I would want to spend that much. You do find used copies at shows cheaper.

I ran into a friend the other day who just got a copy of Poyer's and said it is full of info and you can't beat the price ($20).

Barry S.

geezmo

Post by geezmo »

There's a Brophy book on ebay, current bid, $59, with a little over 4 hours to go.

Vaughn99

Post by Vaughn99 »

Hello all, i read all your posts and my only question on the Mallory and Proyer books which one has the best or how much Norwegian Krag info??? I bought Brophy's book about 5 years ago and has some info but seems to be short maybe this subject is the least talked about and not much info is out there but compared to Brophy's, i was wonderning how the other 2 book i mentioned comparied. let me know i might have to pick up the other books.

thanks
vaughn

reincarnated

Re: Krag Book Recommendation-Brophy or Mallory/Olson

Post by reincarnated »

I am thinking about buying a Second Edition of Frank Mallory's book. There seems to be a substantial price difference between the 1st and 2nd editions, with 1st Editions about 2X higher. What is the difference?

Already have the Poyer and Brophy books.