Stevens-Pope barrels for Krags

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
waterman

Re: Stevens-Pope barrels for Krags

Post by waterman »

Two Krags with Stevens-Pope .22 LR barrels in the next Amoskeag auction. Unfortunately, very little info provided. No S-P barrel numbers, no pics of front sights. Lot 225 has a good barrel on an 1896 rifle. Lot 560 has a "probably crappy" barrel on an 1898 action stuck into an 1896 stock. Stock is marked "OHIO".

Note: I got the second Lot # wrong. It is 560, not 566. Sloppy note taking on my part.
Last edited by waterman on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Some detail s on the two Krags with Stevens-Pope barrels:

Lot 225 is an 1896 action. The Stevens-Pope barrel is # 878. It has a very strange roll stamp, just "Stevens-Pope", struck twice. The front sight is dovetailed into the barrel. This appears to be the standard procedure, allowing for windage adjustments and the use of front sights with different heights.

Lot 560 is on an 1898 action. The Stevens-Pope barrel is # 1287. It has a standard roll stamp. The front sight is dovetailed into the barrel, the same as barrel 878. The muzzle does not look good.

Note to Cat Man: Both front sights are the same as yours. Your front sight looks to be a Stevens-Pope standard installation. Can you measure the width of the dovetail cut? IIRC, Stevens did not use the standard 3/8".

waterman

Post by waterman »

OK, guys: I went through all my old posts and corrected as many mistakes as I could find. I have all the common references plus whatever I could glean from the auction houses (Amoskeag very helpful, even removed the stocks from both Krags to record the SNs.) I have 8 verified SNs, plus references to what might be either 12 or 14 surviving rifles plus 1 carbine. I haven't yet bought Joe Farmer's book. Does he tell us more? Is he willing to share?

waterman

Post by waterman »

ATTENTION!!

Lot 255 in the March auction at Amoskeag is as nice a Stevens-Pope conversion of a standard 1896 rifle as you will ever see. I can't afford it, but one of you serious collectors needs to have this one. The other one is a dog.