Took My 1898 Sporter out today..load suggestions?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
rjc324

Took My 1898 Sporter out today..load suggestions?

Post by rjc324 »

Forgot how much fun it was to shoot. Used Winchester factory 180 Gr PSP bullets, 1-1/2 inch group at 100 yards. Was wondering if our wonderful members have any favorite loads/weights for basic target shooting? 180Gr, 165 or 150? ANy info would be appreciated.

psteinmayer

Re: Took My 1898 Sporter out today..load suggestions?

Post by psteinmayer »

For basic target shooting, I normally load 165 grain Hornady Boattail Soft Point spitzer bullets over 38.6 grains of IMR 4064. This load is moderate, accurate and provides around 2250 fps velocity. I used to load 180 grain BTSPs, but switched to the 165s because they were a little easier on the shoulder, and I've been very happy with the results. I shoot these mostly in my cutdown sporter.

For competition shooting, I now load 220 grain Hornady Round Nose jacketed bullets (interlock) over 40.0 grains of IMR 4350. This load (220 grain/4350) is very close in ballistic data to the original US 30 Caliber loading in terms of velocity, pressure (cup) and power burn rate. Velocity is right around 1900 fps, and accuracy at distance is excellent. This is what my 1898 rifle is sighted in for and now all I shoot in it.

What ever loads you chose, get a hold of a good load data book... I use the Hornady book and Lee data, but Speer, Swift, and just about every other bullet manufacturer has ballistic data and load charts. When selecting your bullets, make sure that the bullet satisfies your needs in terms of it's intended use (i.e. don't choose expensive hunting bullets to shoot paper, or choose a good target bullet to hunt). Also, the Krag was designed for use with round nosed bullets, and as such, some Krags don't feet spitzer (pointed) bullets well... some don't feed them at all. Both of my Krags do feed them, but the bullets must be crimped or the bullets will push back into the case neck and the case will jam cockeyed in the chamber. If I put a light crimp (crimp ring on the bullet is a must), I have no feeding problems with spitzers.

Good luck with your reloading, and post your results. I'm certain that we'd all like to share in your results!

Paul

butlersrangers

Re: Took My 1898 Sporter out today..load suggestions?

Post by butlersrangers »

'Bumping' an old thread, with load data, for a new guy's question.