Here is the rifle with the 1900 cartouche

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
tanker

Re: Here is the rifle with the 1900 cartouche

Post by tanker »

GUTS; beautiful weapon, I'm sure it will serve you well and provide hours of enjoyment. The headless cocking piece, IMO, accentuates the clean lines of the weapon very well, I'm sort of partial to that feature since I have one also on an 1899 schools rifle.
From the comments here it seems like you have an original US military rifle in a condition that is commensurate with US military service and authorized modifications. While it might not be a NIB SA weapon make no mistake, it is as the US military wanted it and you are very fortunate to have it. I have fired dozens of US military weapons while in the US Army and I can guarantee you that none of them were as they were originally produced and many modifications were applied to all of them in addition to parts being replaced due to wear. Regardless of where the repairs were done, as long as they were completed by approved methods they were in original configuration for military purposes and accountability.
Enjoy, and have fun shooting it, that's what the bullets are for!

GUTS

Post by GUTS »

Thanks for the helpfull information and the compliments fellas, it is good to learn things from those that know! :)

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

From the comments here it seems like you have an original US military rifle in a condition that is commensurate with US military service and authorized modifications. While it might not be a NIB SA weapon make no mistake, it is as the US military wanted it and you are very fortunate to have it.

Exactly. It seems that every one is after "as made." Very few will be that. "As issued" is what they are. You've nailed it there.

It's a nice rifle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I 'Bumped' this interesting old discussion on aspects of arsenal refinishing and preservation.