Here is the rifle with the 1900 cartouche

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
GUTS

Here is the rifle with the 1900 cartouche

Post by GUTS »

This is my nice 1898 Krag(at least I think so). I have shot it at our range and it is very accurate and fun to shoot. The serial number is 291XXX.
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
The bore is excellent.
img
img

mjanway

Re: Here is the rifle with the 1901 cartouche

Post by mjanway »

Very nice indeed!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, very nice, AND confirms that the headless cocking piece is NOT exclusive to carbines! Hate to say this, but the cartouche looks like "1900" to me! :-)

GUTS

Post by GUTS »

Sorry about that, long days at work and my brain is fading(I corrected it!).

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

Yes, very nice, AND confirms that the headless cocking piece is NOT exclusive to carbines! Hate to say this, but the cartouche looks like "1900" to me! :-)

Mystified by how that would be so on an arsenal refinished rifle.

GUTS

Re: Here is the rifle with the 1900 cartouche

Post by GUTS »

What makes you say it's arsenal refinished, were they all? I thought US Military rifles that were arsenal refinished were stamped with the mark from the arsenal they were refinished at, unless Krags weren't marked like later rifles are.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Guts: You have a very nice rifle with interesting features like the "headless" cocking piece and an 1898 rear sight modified to 1902 configuration. I believe your serial number dates from November, 1900. The condition of your rifle appears very good. Your stock appears to have a very nice grain. I wonder if it is one of the stock blanks obtained from Italy? (I have a cut down rifle stock with a "1900" cartouche that is definitely a European Walnut).

GUTS

Post by GUTS »

img

I guess I don't understand the browned vs not browned reference you highlighted in the photo, can you explain it some for me, thanks.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

The "shelf" is browned for almost all of its distance. Except the very front. That's in the white. As made that "shelf" on that rifle had a consistent finish on the entire shelf. Imagine masking off a flat surface and finishing it. Then removing the masking tape. The bit under the tape wouldn't be finished. Which is what we're seeing there. The front of the shelf is in the white whereas most of it is browned. When originally made it was all the same finish. That is "browned" during rebuild with them missing the front of that shelf.

The receiver wasn't browned at SA. It was browned during rebuild and they missed the front of the shelf. The guide lip also has that inconsistent finish. Ergo, the gun was arsenal refinished.

The reality is most were. Far too many people assume the gun is "original" when that is in fact almost never so.

Very few guns are "original." That doesn't move your rifle into the "junk pile" as most were refinished whether people realize it or not. It's a nice rifle. It was arsenal refinished as were most from that time.

They went to parkerizing on '03s for a reason. They couldn't keep the browning from wearing off. Quickly. The guns were carried in the rain, sun, etc. They lost their finish quickly. When returned from the units they were refinished as a matter of procedure. RIA's inventory reports only have two columns: new and refinished. It was either one or the other. SA, RIA, Benicia, and Manilla all had browning facilities and they all used them. Heavily.