List of 26" barrel BoOF Rifles

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Dick Hosmer

List of 26" barrel BoOF Rifles

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I see that some changes have been recently made - but I'm puzzled about some of them.

385120 has been removed - that is in a private collection here in California. I know the owner, and have discussed the arm with Tom Pearce. I've not seen it, nor had Tom, but have been told it passes all the tests - other than having a somewhat "low number".

387780 has also been removed - that is also in a private collection, and I'm acquainted with the owner. It is SUPPOSED to be right, and has NO serial number "issue" as above.

388784 has ALSO been removed - I know nothing about that one, at all, beyond it havng been listed in Mallory's book for 30 years.

388786, which I acquired "out of the brush" last September, has been added. Thanks very much to whoever did so.

And, 389186 is presently offered for sale at AuctionArms by "utahred". While it IS consecutive to a listed gun, I find a couple of his pictures inconclusive at best. I've TEMPORARILY added it to my private list, which now stands at 20. But the Forum list is now down to 17.

Are there some individual explanations, or did the numbers simply get dropped by mistake? A clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.

With regard to 389186: I'll not give the number - it isn't mine - but there is ALREADY one example on the list where the SRS data shows a plain 1898 rifle consecutive to a BoOF, so such closeness means NOTHING, each 26" rifle must stand on its' own merits.

Dick Hosmer

Re: List of 26" barrel BoOF Rifles

Post by Dick Hosmer »

CLEANUP ON AISLE FIVE!!!!!!

What the heck? - checking the list again, I see that 387787 is shown TWICE. C'mon guys, there are (at most) 20 numbers - surely we can do better than that! :-) :-)

AFAIK, this is the current tally - no CURRENT owners (except me) - divulged. There are the two stragglers, then two pretty distinct clumps. We need to find and record more numbers.

385120 From Poyer book (POSSIBLY the prototype? - is out of range, but has correct sight)

387082 present location unknown

387780 currently in a private collection (KCA member)
387787 ex-Pearce associated (acted as seller for third party not identified)
387788 currently in a private collection
387869 SA Museum (SPAR 6373)
387986 ex-Mook collection
388013 present location unknown
388014 ex-Kellerstedt collection
388034 ex-Pearce collection

388628 currently in a private collection (ex-Peck collection)
388647 present location unknown
388649 ex-Pearce collection
388784 present location unknown
388786 my collection - found on Gunbroker, Sept. 09
388793 present location unknown
388908 For sale on Gunbroker, since Sept. 09 (ex-Rainbow collection)
389185 ex-Pearce collection
389186 For sale on AuctionArms, since May 2010 (prior owner unknown)
389223 present location unknown

I'd WELCOME any comments, corrections, or updates.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Well Dick we will have to check in with Tom P. on this. I had hoped that he would check in by now.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, it appears that the ball has bounced back to my side of the net, again. If 389186 came from the Peck collection, then I'd be VERY careful with my $25,000, even if the rear sight DOES look right. It's a decent-appearing piece, overall, but that is $10,000 over Flayderman, and I still REALLY don't like that muzzle picture. FWIW, the rifle now up for sale does NOT appear to be the same one pictured (and credited to JP, not Burt Kellerstedt) in Ball's book, "Springfield Armory Shoulder Weapons 1795-1968", which was based largely on the Peck collection, and was published in 1997. Talk at the time was that the over-riding reason for publishing the book was to provide publicity for the impending sale of said collection. This of course leads to (at least) two more mysteries. The "35-year" timing is perhaps now off. Then there is the question of whether it really is the Peck gun - or perhaps he had two? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, mine presently has a mocked-up sight, and will soon have a "restored" stock, but, IT will never be presented - during my lifetime - as a virgin. Yes, I have carefully put aside its' nearly new uncartouched carbine stock and 1902C sight, against finding a copy of the BoOF report. Who knows what they did with them while on trial?

And, by all means, I'd like to have Tom review my list, to make sure I correctly transcribed the info I received from him.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Hmmmm - the plot thickens - from referring to my notes, I see that 388628 is a former "Peck gun". I presume IT is the minty one, with really dark wood, shown in the Ball book.

So then, if the current AuctionArms rifle really is (also) a Peck gun, it must have been his "starter", which he later upgraded. Given the EXTREME rarity of this model, that makes it all the more important that 389186 be looked at very closely.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

I'll know early next week.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

Gun was perfect. Stock was correct. As are the muzzle, front sight, and rear sight. The rifle is what it was claimed to be.

Dick, this really isn't directed at you. Really, it isn't. This is directed at everyone looking at those auctions.

I purchased 4 rifles in the initial go. Not all Krags as I collect a somewhat wider area. When the initial 4 rifles arrived there were problems with one. I advised the seller and took detailed pictures. We had a long discussion about the rifles I bought, that Board rifles, and some other things. His main motivation was to ensure I was satisfied with what I'd purchased. He sent me a check for an amount to cover the condition issues with the one rifle. I ended up plowing[1] that into two others - more Krags.

It's likely I'll be publishing some information on Krags. We discussed that. He kindly offered to send me the Board rifle so I could take pictures. I was clear I wasn't in the market for it. The rifle was sent. Along with a note. He is in fact a really nice gentleman. Very straightforward. He's not a rifle novice but doesn't collect in this area of arms. He's listed them as best he can. As in all things it is up to the buyer to know what he is buying. Else get advice from somebody who does know. In the case of this seller he is very interested in making sure people are satisfied.

They decided they wanted the Board rifle to take up residence with me. They tendered a price to ensure it did. Given I promised my wife I was done that left a problem.

Problem solved - she purchased it.

The rifle is really nice. Better than the pictures would indicate.

He is a nice guy. Easy to deal with. Honest and helpful.

Good thing she's buying it - I don't have to pay to ship it back. Save a few bucks there.

[1] 5MadFarmers doesn't sink money into rifles - he plows it. Yeah, yeah, ok, I do in fact find humor there.

I do want to thank Dick for his advice on the market value of the rifle.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well - as I said I would - now that 389186 has been verified by someone who knows what to look for - I completely retract all of the negative comments I may have made earlier. However, I will still stay that, given the alleged original source, this COULD just as easily have had a different ending. But, now its right, and it's over. Congratulations to Kathy for a really nice addition to her collection, too!!

And, once a few shipping issues get sorted out, I hope to be able to present yet ANOTHER BoOF rifle, from the brush, in about a month. Serial number is VERY close to this one. That would make THREE "previously unknown", or at least unlogged, 26" rifles in nine months! Guess I'll keep looking for a third, so as to be able to "stack arms". :-)

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

"Guess I'll keep looking for a third, so as to be able to "stack arms""

Don't even get me started. Actually it's ok - I know deep in my heart that they'll stack with '03s just fine.

Congrats on the latest find.

They're interesting from a statistical fashion as the sample rate isn't terribly small. Not massive but useful. 100 rifles total with 20 thereabouts known. X number having been abused. I wonder if that plays out for '98s in general? We may never know.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Dick,

I e-mailed Tom Pearce about you guys working together and making a definitive list of the BOF rifles. He said he would be glad to and asked you to e-mail him.
When you guys finalize the list, let me know and we will post it on the site.

Thank,
Tom