1894?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
kidsgun

1894?

Post by kidsgun »

I bought a model 1894 at auction today. It is full military, appears all original with exception of rear sight, has a 23XXX serial number and a beautifully cartouched stock. Since this is my first Krag, just what did I buy. I read about 1892, 96, etc, but not 94. Did I get a foreign traveler? What would be the correct rear sight for it. Thanks from the "new kid on the block." Bill

Tom_Pearce

Re: 1894?

Post by Tom_Pearce »

The Model 1892 was officially accepted in 1892, but, do to political pressure production did not commence until 1894 and the receivers were so marked for the year of manufacture. Since receivers lead assembly of complete arms, 1894 dated receivers were completed in the 1894, 1895 and 1896 calendar years and identified by the dated cartouche on the stocks. Your rifle was assembled in late 1895 and completed in 1896 when the Model 1896 Type 1 Rear Sight was manufactured. In the photo section of this site you will find a photo of the Model 1896 Type 1 Rear Sight and a Model 1892 Rifle in the 20,000 serial number range in the original configuration that your rifle was or is when manufactured.

Rick_the_Librarian

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

Kidsgun,

Does it still have the cleaning rod (or a space where it could go) or has the wood been filled in? If I understand it right, if you have the latterm you have a 1892 modified to 1896 - the same as I bought a few days ago.

kidsgun

Post by kidsgun »

I looked at the picture of the 1896 Type 1 and realized that the "base" of the sight is on the rifle. I'm missing the "ladder" portion and the pin that holds it in place. Do you suppose that I'll be able to find the part I need or will I need to just buy the entire sight? Thanks, Bill
PS: The cleaning rod area is filled in with wood.

Ken_in_Iowa

Post by Ken_in_Iowa »

Bill-

You have what we commonly refer to as a Model 92/96. These are 1892 specimens that were converted by Springfield to 1896 configuration. These conversions had some variables themselves.

The next question that will come up will have to do with the muzzle. Is the muzzle flat or crowned?

As for the rear sight, you are in luck in that 1896 model sights are common. S&S Firearms http://www.ssfirearms.com/ may be able to help and they often show up on eBay. You might check with this fella as well. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=PublicClassifieds;action=display;num=1080870228

You might try to get ahold of a copy of "The Krag Rifle Story" which has some great documentation of the conversions that took place to the 1892 rifles and the many variables encountered on the early Krags.

Ken

kidsgun

Post by kidsgun »

I appreciate the info Ken and will give SS a try.
The muzzle is crowned. Is that good or bad?
This is certainly a wonderful web site for Krag collectors.
Thanks, Bill

Rick_the_Librarian

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

William Brophy also has a pretty nice section in his book and it's a lot cheaper (wish I COULD afford the other book!) on the 1892/96 - also a good section on the 1892 showing the difference in parts between the 1892 and the 1896, which might help in the identification process.

Ken_in_Iowa

Post by Ken_in_Iowa »

Springfield made the transition to the crowned or 'rounded' muzzle at about the time your rifle was made.

It would seem that most of the older flat-muzzle barrels were rounded at the time of the '96 conversion, but not all.

Either configuration would be expected, but flat muzzles are rarer.

As for "The Krag Rifle Story" SRS http://armscollectors.com/srs/publist.htm has them listed at $80. The copy that I purchased a year ago was signed by Frank Mallory who passed away this last June. I seem to recall hearing that the supply of these books is dwindling, so this would be a good time to buy.

Brophy's book is equally excellent.

Ken